Chicken poop.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
What to you guys think of chicken poop for a fertalizer? My sister has 4 chickens and plenty of poop. I have heard that it makes a good grass fertelizer and want to go organic in preperation for when Bob and Shelby can roam the back yard. I have a chain link fence around a large area but the smaller grass area has a retaining wall around most of it. It is actually a pretty big area so they will have lots of space. I have also heard that chicken poop has to sit for awhile maybe months before it can be used. Do we have any experts on chicken $#*!?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Chicken poop is a great fertilizer, however, its very "hot" and you have to use it sparingly.

I wouldn't let the tortoise on the grass until the poop has degraded and is no longer visible.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks Yvonne. My torts are only a year old so they are too little right now, I just want to change things way ahead of time so the chemical are all gone and it is ready when they are big enough to roam free. I also have a big very old dog that needs to pass on before they can take over. I don't even let then in the back now because of dog hair and germs.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Chicken poop should really be composted with lots of low-nitrogen matter before it is applied to your grass. It is hot, as Yvonne said, and it also tends to come from the chicken house in large clumps. If not handled carefully, it will kill whatever you put it on. Sadly, voice of experience.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
You can get bat guano at any hydroponic store its fully organic but unfortunatly not free. And in cali theres one every twenty miles(in sac anyway).

chadk

10 Year Member!
I mix my chicken poo in my composte bin. Good stuff. But definately composte it well before using.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Chicken poop is free. I got the idea because a friend said she was buying bird guana for her lawn and it looked great. She also uses it on her vegtables and trees. She is a complete organic nut. I was planning to use worm castings for my yard but my worms died and I have a large yard. I am still composting and plan to get more worms. Right now I still have enough to feed Trudy, but I want to start again with the worm breeding. I really enjoy them. BTW~ My sisters chicken are kept in a nice roomy coup and feed good food. It really make a difference in the poop. The chicken farms around here are really gross. I use her horse poop for my worms.

I heard from my worm person that Chicken poop has to sit for like 6 months or it will be to hot for the worms, but mixing it with the castings would be good.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Silverstar~I lived in apartments for a lot of years and hope I never have to go back to that. I can't even imagine living (again) where houses are on small lots and close together. I need my open space and land to feel comfortable. But I gave up being close to the city to have that. Ramona=cheaper housing and more space but less to do unless you like hiking and animals.

TortyQueen~ You are so funny. I love your humor:)

Status
Not open for further replies.