Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
jaizei said:
TylerStewart said:
The longer dumb people with dumb causes try to put together boycotts and dumb presentations against companies, the longer those companies are going to be setting sales records. This is the best thing that's ever happened to Chick Fil A.

So equality is a 'dumb' cause?
Manufacturing a crisis, where none exists is dumb.

So is the problem with chick fil a that they kill chickens or how they are killed, if the problem is how they are killed, then if they do it humanely is there a problem then?

Tom said:
StudentoftheReptile said:
Jacqui said:
StudentoftheReptile said:
I love chicken, and I will freely admit that I am not picky where I get it from: Chic-fil-a, KFC, Foosackly's, Zacksby's, Popeye's, etc...its all good. Let freedom reign.

Now Popeyes and KFC I know. Church's too, but the rest are ones I have not tried yet. Aww so many food places to try and so little time.

Foosackly's is a local chicken place down here in Mobile, Alabama, but they are slowly expanding. Soooo good!!! :D

There's also Cane's. Anyone hear of Cane's?

I LOVE Cane's. Eat there every time I go to Louisiana. Their chicken and dipping sauce is the best ever, but that BREAD! What is that bread? Its like eating a slice of heaven... Mmmmmmmm
I bought some hats and wear them frequently. Not too many people out here even know what it is. But that's okay, you and I know what is it and it is good!
Do you know how much wheat had to be savagely cut from the stalk so you could enjoy that bread?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the OP may be mis-informed about the way the chickens are housed and treated before being slaughtered. It was probably scare tactics...someone spreading gloom and doom stories just to get people worked up. Slaughter houses are regularly inspected, both by the health department and the USDA.

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
I should take photos of my fresh eggs, vs farmed factory/storebought ones. Heck, at a family dinner my mother made deviled eggs from store eggs and I made some with my own birds from that week, same preparation and ingredients and mine were much prettier yellow!! Everybody wanted more of mine!! ;)

We buy only grass fed meats from local farms as MUCH as we can ( Sometimes need to go for store meat, but try to avoid it as much as possible), Bacon exclusively store bought bacon sucks and is SO awful in comparison to the bacon from the farm we buy, the difference in quality is astounding. ( Cuts make a difference too but REAL farm bacon is a force to be reckoned with!! ;) )

I just dont enjoy fast food, though, so either way I could care less about their company as a whole. I am trying to live as sustainably as i possibly can, we plan to homestead too, raise our own animals and veggies. Getting there!! ;)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Lol, just noticed that there is a Chick-Fil-A advertisement on this thread. I don't know if everyone sees the same thing as me. Thought it was funny.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Neal said:
Lol, just noticed that there is a Chick-Fil-A advertisement on this thread. I don't know if everyone sees the same thing as me. Thought it was funny.
No it's a different ad for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal: Its some sort of history tracking that GOOGLE does. Once I did some GOOGLE searching for ancestry places and the next time I signed onto the Forum most of the ads were about ancestry places.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Neal said:

You mean this one?

"Free Chick-Fil-A Coupons
Save w/ Top Chick-Fil-A Coupons! Free Chick-Fil-A Coupons.
www.ShopAtHome.com/Chick-Fil-A"

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
TylerStewart said:
jaizei said:
TylerStewart said:
The longer dumb people with dumb causes try to put together boycotts and dumb presentations against companies, the longer those companies are going to be setting sales records. This is the best thing that's ever happened to Chick Fil A.

So equality is a 'dumb' cause?

No, boycotting a business that has the same beliefs as 50% of the country is a dumb cause. If your cause is "gay marriage," what the hell does Chick Fil A have to do with that?

Just because the majority currently shares that point of view doesn't make it right. Chick-fil-a donates millions of dollars to anti-gay marriage groups. So by boycotting, people are refusing to support a business that supports something they don't agree with.

And besides within a few years opinion will have shifted even more in favor of equality. Compare the numbers from the early '90s to today. You can not stop progress.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
I think the OP may be mis-informed about the way the chickens are housed and treated before being slaughtered. It was probably scare tactics...someone spreading gloom and doom stories just to get people worked up. Slaughter houses are regularly inspected, both by the health department and the USDA.

I heard that rumor too. However, from my first hand observation at a few processing plants all over this country of ours, there are some that would turn your stomach. There are two places still to this day I can easily see things in my memory that turn my stomach and I have a very strong stomach. One is actually a chicken plant. :(

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
The way they are slaughtered isn't necessarily as inhumane is how they are kept and bred, and that is usually far from the slaughterhouses. Pigs and cattle are the same way, I think a lot of people would be put of their meals if they thought about it. Not only is it bad for the animals, but it's bad for people too. I just hate thinking about the ammonia treated beef that is in every hamburger that I eat. AMMONIA. yuck.

At any rate, there aren't any Chick-Fil-As in Nebraska, except in the Mutual of Omaha building, and I've been to that one once. So I guess I don't really care about this whole debate as I can't really go to a chick fil a if I want to, anyways.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
futureleopardtortoise said:
I just hate thinking about the ammonia treated beef that is in every hamburger that I eat. AMMONIA. yuck.

Then why do you eat it?

futureleopardtortoise said:
The way they are slaughtered isn't necessarily as inhumane is how they are kept and bred, and that is usually far from the slaughterhouses. Pigs and cattle are the same way, I think a lot of people would be put of their meals if they thought about it. Not only is it bad for the animals, but it's bad for people too.

Seeing the way animals are housed, treated, and slaughtered was probably the single biggest reason I changed my eating habits.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I agree that what I said about sheeple might have seemed offensive but I didn't mean it in the way some read it. I meant that the media manipulates us to certain actions and often people react just to be part of the movement. I personally believe that eating at chickfila or making out at it, does nothing but give them free PR. If you support them based on your own personal beliefs then you are probably the minority these days.
I actually am easy going and don't really get personally angered or upset easily and I don't mean to offend anyone. I am up for a lively debate anytime and honestly am not easily personally offended. I am not hateful of people will opposing ideas. I just respect they see things differently. My assistant only eats chicken, iceberg, and potatoes and we eat lunch together daily, and argue about this kind of stuff.

My issue is the conditions in the slaughter houses. I grew up on a farm. We raised and slaughtered animals but it's much different than the meat provided at most grocery stores and restaurants. The animals don't get to exercise so the muscle is produced through hormone injections and genetic manipulation. The animals would be healthier, happier and better for people if they had better conditions. Our chickens growing up eventually hit the pot but they didn't suffer their entire existence.

I keep seeing people talking about religious scripture that originates from the Jewish religion. The old testiment which is where a lot of the christian rules are based (I was raised a southern baptist so I do know this stuff). The rules weren't just don't eat pig. A lot of Christians say to me that Kosher is just a rabbi blessing the food, which is a common misconception. In the old testiment animals had to be fed, slaughtered, and prepared in a certain fashion. Here where I live it's an area where a lot of Kosher meals are served and I can guarantee the slaughter houses used for most commercial meats wouldn't make the Kosher grade. Am I saying.. woo hoo go Jews. no that's not my point. My point is that the religious base of dominion over animals is different than just the parts commonly sited from the bible. There is also the part about your body being a temple. Eating food that is processed would not equal taking care of your temple, in my opinion.

Again I actually do hate to keep saying this but there are cultures who do eat animals Americans love like dogs and tortoises. Wouldn't we all have a lump in our throats if we saw the puppies being strangled to death in Korea or the turtles/tortoises kept in a pot on the side of the kitchen waiting to be dropped into a pot of boiling water. Sorry for the graphic description but that is how I see the chickens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kerryann said:
If you support them based on your own personal beliefs then you are probably the minority these days.

This I don't agree with. Chick-Fil-A has been a thriving business for more than 20 years. I have always supported them and any other business based on my own personal beliefs. The main beliefs that I speak of are the beliefs that they make a tasty product, at a good price, and I want it. I don't feel that I'm in the minority here.

I think you have presented your feelings on the matter well. I see your point for some of it, but disagree with other parts. I don't think anyone condones animal abuse, but there is a large spectrum for what constitutes abuse. Some people find keeping a tortoise in a huge back yard abusive, because that animals should be in the wild. Some people find factory farming abusive. Some people find my use of a correction collar on a dog to literally save its life from euthanasia for aggression abusive and would rather see that dog killed than have me jerk on it a few times.

We all see things differently. I can see how you feel about these chickens. I don't see a sentient being being mistreated. I see a meal, and I'm happy to be able to pay someone else to do all the "dirty" work, since I really don't have the time to do it myself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lisa127 said:
What bothers me about this thinking is simply this. Dogs, from the time of domestication, were bred for one purpose and one purpose only. To work with man, to work beside man......They were not domesticated or bred for any other purpose. They are a species that is and always will be loyal to humans. So yes, I find it sad that any humans would do that.

And for the record, I personally don't believe humans as a species are meant to eat meat of any kind. If you look at our digestive system, our teeth, etc. they are similar to that of other herbivores not carnivores.

Also, as for the gay marriage thing.....I guess I'm just kind of confused as to why the restaurant felt the need to comment at all. If that's their belief fine. But what was the point of publicly voicing it. What could that possibly have to do with the restaurant business that it even needed to be addressed? Did I not hear the whole story about how this came about?

With your first paragraph, I must disagree. Historically there were breeds that were developed for food in some parts of the world.

I also disagree with your second paragraph. You don't need canine teeth for eating grasses, fruits, seeds and forbs. Canine teeth are for eating meat and there is a reason we have them. Our closest living relatives also have them and are also omnivores.

On your third paragraph, I share your puzzlement. While we all have a right to our opinion, what exactly was the point of him voicing his? Makes no sense to me. I feel the same way about Hollywood Actors getting on their soapbox and talking politics. I don't care how they feel about the issues, that's their business and they should keep it that way.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
And in some parts of the world humans eat each other as well. Dogs were never meant as food sources.....

Our canine teeth are called canine teeth simply to label them so to speak. They are hardly real canine teeth in the sense of tearing meat. Our digestive systems also are not that of carnivores.

And yes, it puzzles me a lot. I don't understand why this ever came up to begin with?? Strange!! That's why I wondered if I missed something??

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If I was the ceo of chick fil a, I would beg the LBGT community to attack me like that more often, record sales days don't come around all that often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lisa127 said:
And in some parts of the world humans eat each other as well. Dogs were never meant as food sources.....

Hmmm... We must be misunderstanding each other. Dogs absolutely were, and are "meant" for food sources. They were/are specifically bred, raised and butchered for human consumption. I don't care to do it. I see dogs as wonderful helpful companions too, but that doesn't change the fact that they are meant for food in some parts of the world. And yes, people do eat people sometimes. No disagreement here.

lisa127 said:
Our canine teeth are called canine teeth simply to label them so to speak. They are hardly real canine teeth in the sense of tearing meat. Our digestive systems also are not that of carnivores.

Agreed. We do not have the digestive system of a carnivore. We have the digestive system of an omnivore, just like chimps and baboons which also include meat as part of their diet. And in my anatomy and physiology classes, I was taught that tearing meat is exactly what our canine teeth and the canine teeth of other animals are for.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I don't care if you want to eat something, I just think its immoral and inhumane to have it suffer during it's life and suffer during it's death. I was raised to believe that by a man who raised animals for slaughter and hunted. My grandpa was an uneducated southern man who ate whatever kind of critter he killed, but he never tortured a damn thing his whole life.
In fact when I was a 4 and learning bow and arrow I shot a squirrel. He cleaned it and made me eat it. I learned my strong beliefs about animals from a non-vegetarian so it's not like I expect everyone to become vegetarian like myself. He always said to kill things clean so they don't suffer more than necessary.
If you haven't seen a young dog slowly strangled to death while you can't be upset in front of your customer.. trying to keep it together.. you haven't walked a mile in my shoes and seen the horror the human race can inflict on innocent creatures. I didn't start this thread to say meat eaters are evil, but to say just because you eat something doesn't mean you should torture and abuse it.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Kerryann said:
I don't care if you want to eat something, I just think its immoral and inhumane to have it suffer during it's life and suffer during it's death. I was raised to believe that by a man who raised animals for slaughter and hunted. My grandpa was an uneducated southern man who ate whatever kind of critter he killed, but he never tortured a damn thing his whole life.
In fact when I was a 4 and learning bow and arrow I shot a squirrel. He cleaned it and made me eat it. I learned my strong beliefs about animals from a non-vegetarian so it's not like I expect everyone to become vegetarian like myself. He always said to kill things clean so they don't suffer more than necessary.
If you haven't seen a young dog slowly strangled to death while you can't be upset in front of your customer.. trying to keep it together.. you haven't walked a mile in my shoes and seen the horror the human race can inflict on innocent creatures. I didn't start this thread to say meat eaters are evil, but to say just because you eat something doesn't mean you should torture and abuse it.

I agree, of course, most people do. But the chicken companies like Tyson and others obviously don't see it as torture, and they don't see the chickens as anything more than "product". They care for the chickens that way because it is the most time and money saving way to care for and treat them. Whether or not it's right. If everyone in America was willing to pay a little more to make sure the chicken they are eating was fed and cared for properly. then we wouldn't be having this problem. I doubt very many people would be willing to do so. Those that are already do.

Status
Not open for further replies.