Chlorhexidine question.

AgataP

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
My torts enclosure is made from plywood - it is not sealed as I know I will have to upgrade it before it even has a chance to be gross. However I would like to wipe it down with chlorhexidine solution (mixed with h2o), as I want to change his substrate to add more since he loved to dig.

How fast is it safe to move the tortoise back?
Should I wait 24h or is it totally safe to wipe, add all the goodies and move the tortoise back ?

Or any other recommendations?
Thanks.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
it should be dried out quickly even faster with a fan. It just depends on how it soaks into the wood. It is my go to just be prepared for the possibility of blue stains. That is the only downside for me!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My torts enclosure is made from plywood - it is not sealed as I know I will have to upgrade it before it even has a chance to be gross. However I would like to wipe it down with chlorhexidine solution (mixed with h2o), as I want to change his substrate to add more since he loved to dig.

How fast is it safe to move the tortoise back?
Should I wait 24h or is it totally safe to wipe, add all the goodies and move the tortoise back ?

Or any other recommendations?
Thanks.
Why? Do you have an infectious disease issue? I never use disinfectants and chemicals in my tortoise enclosures, unless I'm moving out one species and moving in another, which seldom happens.

You can just wipe it out with a wet rag and replace the substrate.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Why? Do you have an infectious disease issue? I never use disinfectants and chemicals in my tortoise enclosures, unless I'm moving out one species and moving in another, which seldom happens.

You can just wipe it out with a wet rag and replace the substrate.

I seen a bit mold on a top cover. Where water collects at times so just wanted to wipe it.
No big issues otherwise.