Choosing a Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

vettech88

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Amanda and I am considering taking on the responsibility and enjoyment of being a tortoise owner. I am very excited, but I plan on doing as much research as possible and completing my enclosure prior to purchasing/adopting a tortoise. I live in the eastern part of South Carolina, very close to Augusta, GA. We have hot, humid summers, and short, mild winters, though it does occasionally get below freezing on winter nights. I want a species that can be kept outdoors most of the year. The eastern box turtle is native and common in this area, and I did consider this species as it would be accustomed to the climate, but I would prefer a species that gets larger and is more exotic than a species that can be easily found in the wild in this area. I am interested in the leopard tortoise since it is larger and prefers humid weather, but I am discouraged because it does not hibernate and I have limited space indoors. I could possibly build a large enclosure for indoors during the winter, but not large enough for multiple large tortoises.
Although I am a beginner, I do not the responsibility of a pet owner lightly. I want to build an outdoor enclosure with edible plants and appropriate substrate, with shade and sunny areas. I also want to build caves for burrowing and all the extra stuff that the specific species I choose would need. I want recommendation for the right species for my climate so I can then begin research on the care for that specific species. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda, and welcome to the Forum!!

A leopard tortoise might be a good choice for you. You can always build a small insulated shed to heat for the winter.

vettech88

5 Year Member
I had not even considered building an insulated shed. That's a great idea and possibly the best solution for limited indoor space. Thanks!

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Yvonne G said:
Hi Amanda, and welcome to the Forum!!

A leopard tortoise might be a good choice for you. You can always build a small insulated shed to heat for the winter.

Is there a more affordable way than building an insulated shed? I have a hatchling Sulcata, and I will likely keep him in my garage for winter time in his 7x4 pen (pic attached; will be adding a top soon). However, my garage isn't insulated.
How can I keep my tort properly treated in there for less than the cost of an insulated shed?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372644622.345562.jpg

p.s. Welcome! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Redfoot tortoises love our humidity! Welcome to TFO!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Welcome! I vote for a redfoot! I have one that I've raised since she fit in my palm and she's very friendly and outgoing! Not to mention beautiful! Although they don't hibernate either.

vettech88

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the great input. The redfoot tortoise is also a good option. At least I have time to consider which species while I build my enclosure. It will definitely be a difficult choice

Status
Not open for further replies.