1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Chris Leone- Garden State Tortoise & Hermanni Haven

Discussion in 'Tortoise Vendor Reviews' started by Brandon W, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Ask questions, share answers, talk torts! TFO Admin 10 Year Member!

I just received a beautiful mature female Greek from Chris. She looks just fantastic and my male is already a huge fan of her.
    Thanks Chris!
    Longhorns1187 likes this.
  2. Benito

Benito Active Member

I have 37 tortoises from Chris. His animals are amazing. I have had animals from different breeders and online tortoise companies and received a lot of animals that got sick very quickly. How is it my 37 from Chris are all perfect and it's a 70/30 gamble from most other breeders? Congratulations and good luck with your Greek. At least you know it's been given the best care from day one.
  3. Nick V.

Nick V. New Member

Just wanted to leave an update, I purchased more Burmese stars and some Indian stars from him a few months back. All of which were fantastic and healthy animals; I very much look forward with continuing to purchase from him in the future.
  4. jenbear

jenbear New Member

I recently had a bad experience and lost my eastern hermann's tortoise that I bought from backwater reptiles after only 3 months. I talked to Chris Leone from Hermanni Haven after researching and deciding he was the best and most knowledgeable about Hermann tortoises. He was so helpful and gave me pointers which were clear and easy to understand. I purchased a six month old Eastern Hermann Tortoise from him that just arrived and boy is he a beauty. He is already so much more active and alert than my previous little guy. I think my previous one was compromised and don't think I did anything wrong. Having a comparison allowed me to see it. I highly recommend Chris if you are going to purchase a tortoise. Not only is he a great breeder and source of info but the tortoise I just bought is extremely beautiful, healthy and high quality. I wish I would have started with him. It would have saved me time, heartache and money. As mentioned above you can be assured your tortoise will have had the best care from day one.
    Jenny
    Benito likes this.
  5. Baggagewoofer

Baggagewoofer New Member

I am new to this site and am probably improperly leaving a review, but for the life of me, I just can't figure out how or where to do it correctly. I just purchased two, four-month old, Eastern Box Turtles from Chris at Garden State Tortoise, and I just wanted to say how totally pleased I am with the transaction. Communication with Chris was excellent from the very start. He was extremely helpful with multiple email responses and afterward, additional text responses, to a myriad of questions I had about the turtles care and habitat. It was clear that Chris really enjoys his work and loves turtles because he spent way more time working with me and answering questions than the small fee he earned for the sale of the turtles to me. I like that purchasing from Chris includes "lifetime" support, and from what I've seen already, I have no doubt that his support will continue long after my "check has been cashed"! Overall, I was extremely impressed with the amount of time Chris has given me and the manner in which everything from start to finish was handled. Thanks, Chris!
  6. TurtleGrandma

TurtleGrandma New Member

Hi All,
    I received my hatchling Indian Star Tortoise from Chris about 2 weeks ago. It is in excellent health. I soaked it right away and then it ate right away also. I had several questions for Chris, all of which he answered, very fast! I am planning on ordering another one in a couple of weeks from him also. He is very passionate about what he does. I would never hesitate from buying any turtle or tortoise from him. He is the best! I also know if I have any questions in the future, he will be there to answer them! Thanks again, Chris!
    Longhorns1187 likes this.
  7. rnchick74

rnchick74 New Member

Another glowing review for Chris! I read these reviews after narrowing down the type of tortoise my son & I were interested in to either a redfoot or Hermann's. After my 1st email with Chris & reading info on his website, I knew for sure that a Hermann's was for us. He patiently answered my million and one questions and made the entire process super easy. We just received Kanto today - a 3 year old E. Hermann's. He is a beautiful tortoise that will bring my son joy for many, many years. I cannot recommend Chris enough. We have a very healthy, super active beautiful tortoise who is eating, drinking, pooping/peeing right out of the box after a soak. More than that, Chris has true passion for what he does and the animals are obviously cared for extremely well.

Thanks again Chris!
    TechnoCheese likes this.
  8. Rayodee

Rayodee New Member

updated pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Longhorns1187 and CarolM like this.
  9. kerrishell

kerrishell New Member

10. kerrishell

kerrishell New Member

Awesomeness, Your boxy girl is gorgeous! I'm also (after alot of research) hoping to get an eastern box turtle from
    Awesomeness, Your boxy girl is gorgeous! I'm also (after alot of research) hoping to get an eastern box turtle from garden State tortoise. Yay I can't wait!
  11. ShirleyTX

ShirleyTX Member

I have just received my Egyptian Tortoise (t. kleinmanni) from Chris at Garden State Tortoise.

Egyptians differ from other Mediterranean species in many ways, and information about them is scarce. In my research, I kept coming back to his care pages as the foundation for my setup. (By the way, Chris will help you prepare for your tort - it matters to him that they have good homes.)

My 2yo tort arrived this morning, alert and apparently unfazed her travel. She’s moving about and undeniably the most beautiful tort on the planet.

I recommend Chris wholeheartedly.
    CarolM likes this.
  12. Salspi

Salspi Active Member

I have received a pair of Testudo Kleinmanni Hatchlngs from Chris. They are in phenomenal condition. Both immediately drank and went to bathroom in the soak water. They took a nap for about an hour and then they cruised the enclosure. They both ate mazuri and herbal hay mixture after that. Hard to believe they ate after only 2 hours. Truly healthy babies.

Not only is Garden State Tortoise the best place to get Testudos but they are significantly cheaper than everyone else! It’s a no brainer to get your tortoise from Garden State Tortoise. Not to mention how helpful he’s been to me with setting them up correctly! I couldn’t recommend Garden State anymore than I already do... Wonderful experience.
  13. gracemarimba

gracemarimba New Member

I purchased my first tortoises, (2 Greek hatchlings), from Chris at Garden State Tortoise. From beginning to end, he was a extremely helpful and answered my endless questions. In fact, when i first contacted him it was just with questions about another tortoise I was going to buy. Eventually I figured out he was the one to work with. His passion, knowledge, and expertise were amazing. The babies arrived in perfect condition, and Chris even assisted in settling them into their new home. I can't recommend Chris highly enough. I would purchase another tortoise from him in the future without a doubt.