Chris Leone- Garden State Tortoise & Hermanni Haven

StarTorts619

Hey everyone. Recently purchased a female Leopard Tortoise (12+ inches) from Chris for my mom and a female Indian Star Tortoise (6.5") for myself. Both purchases were extremely smooth as Chris answered all my questions about the shipping process to ease my mind, gave me a run down on their current diets and habitats. I have always been hesitant to purchase any livestock online and am confident in future purchases with Chris and his expansive knowledge and passion for how he takes care of his animals. It truly shows upon un-boxing of the animals' quality and health and the dedication he provides them to ensure the best possible health of these animals in our care. I will definitely be purchasing more tortoises from Chris in the future, so if you're on the fence about purchasing an animal online, don't hesitate with Chris (www.gardenstatetortoise.com or www.hermannihaven.com ) as you will get more than you pay for with dedication, reliability, knowledge, and most importantly healthy animals!!! Pictured is the new female indian star tortoise I received from Chris yesterday morning in her quarantine enclosure. Thanks Chris!

Attachments

• Female Star Tortoise.jpg
    Female Star Tortoise.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Female Star Tortoise2.jpg
    Female Star Tortoise2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Female Star Tortoise3.jpg
    Female Star Tortoise3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 110

mbowers

I purchased an Ibera Greek tortoise from Chris Leone and I am thrilled with my purchase. Chris was fantastic at answering my questions very quickly. He packed the tortoise very well and it arrived healthy, warm and active. I would definitely order from Garden State again without hesitation. Thanks so much Chris for your professionalism and love for your animals. You truly love what you do and it shows.

Benanda

I received a Juvenile Russian Tortoise about a month ago from Garden State Tortoise and I am just echoing everyone here by saying that I had a great experience with Chris. I am grateful for all the knowledgeable advice in the face of so much opinion on the internet. It is great to have an expert who is just a few clicks away who can help you determine what is fact or fiction when it comes to determining what is best for the well-being of your tortoise. I would certainly recommend him to anyone who is interested in getting a tortoise.

ninja88888

5 Year Member
My experience with Chris Leone owner of Garden State has been nothing but exceptional. Chris has tremendous insight, success and passion for what he does and is more than willing to share his information and experience with others. Here is a great opportunity to get some true CB tortoises from someone who cares about the turtles and his customers. Great job Chris! Keep up the great work! Continued success!

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I just had a exceptional experience with Chris. I have been emailing him back and forth for about a month, discussing tortoise identifications and husbandry. He has been a wealth of information. Lead in the right direction. He sent pictures of the tortoises so I knew what I was getting. They arrived today in great health. They were boxed very nicely. He truly is a great tortoise mentor. I bought 4 tortoises from him and I plan to one day purchase more. Thanks Chris for your hard work and dedication to tortoises. I enjoy reaping the benefits...

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harlingen, TX
IMG_20150518_182632934.jpg I just purchased two Gulf Coast Box Turtles from Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise and could not be happier. He was very helpful and professional and answered my emails promptly; a true pleasure to work with. Both turtles arrived in perfect condition and in perfect health. If you are looking to buy a turtle or tortoise, you won't find anyone better than Chris Leone. I am planning on purchasing all my chelonians from him in the future.

barefootgirl

5 Year Member
I just received our Greek Ibera tortoise hatchling from Chris at GardenStateTortoise.com. He was absolutely fabulous to work with. He answered the seemingly infinite number of questions that I had with speed, accuracy and patience. His responsiveness to emails is beyond reproach; seriously, I have close family members who do not respond to my emails as quickly as Chris did! The hatchling (Stan) arrived in to us in remarkable health and was impeccably packed. When I went into "nervous mother" mode within 4 hours of Stan's arrival Chris was easy to contact, knowledgeable and reassuring. This is our first tortoise and, while I know that Stan's age will make him a challenge to care for. I am certain that Chris will continue to be an invaluable resource. It is obvious that he rears his animals with great care, and it is extremely comforting to know that he started our new friend with such love. I cannot imagine anyone better to purchase from!

jachristian1

I recently purchased a tortoise from Chris. He arrived healthy and happy. After a good soak he was eating from my hand. Chris was responsive, helpful, and honest.

Camp

We just received our little hatchlings from Chris today. We purchased 4 Eastern Hermanns from him we received great service from the very 1st interaction with Chris. He answered all our questions quickly and made the purchase of our 1st tortoises a breeze. I look forward to watching these little guys (or girls) grow and I am confident that whatever questions I may have in the future Chris will answer gladly. These little guys were alert and active immediately upon unpacking. Once they were soaked and put in the enclosure they immediately began feasting on weeds that I had in a little pot growing in there. I am absolutely thrilled with the tortoises we received and the service that was given to us. I would absolutely recommend using @HermanniChris without a doubt. FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3123 (1).JPG

Callow

5 Year Member
I know how important it is to find a reputable breeder so I wanted to help some newbies out and HIGHLY recommend Chris Leone of Garden State Tortoise (http://www.gardenstatetortoise.com/). This guy knows his stuff, been doing it a very long time and was more than happy to answer my care questions incredibly promptly. He and his wife truly love these animals and this business. My hatchlings are in excellent health, gorgeous, active and I feel confident knowing my questions and "freak outs" are only an email away. Hope this helps someone looking for a new shelled family member, he has all kinds of species and a beautiful property where they roam and graze on specifically designed vegetation and live healthy, happy lives.

nyxielynn

Rochester, NY
I received my new babies this morning from Chris. They arrived safe and sound, they are beautiful and active. For being a first time tortoise owner I had so many questions about everything you can think of and Chris answered them honestly and promptly every time. To me, it is important to have a breeder who not only is knowledgable about the species but truly cares for them and their well being. I have nothing but good to say about him and will purchase from him again in the future. I've also already been recommending him to everyone who has asked me about my shell babies. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1440606282204.jpg
    1440606282204.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 87
  • 1440606331997.jpg
    1440606331997.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 97

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I just purchased an Eastern box turtle from Chris and she arrived this morning in outstanding condition. She is very active, heavy, healthy, and beautiful. Chris has the best customer service you will find anywhere, answers all your questions quickly, and had amazing animals. If you're looking for a high quality healthy turtle or tortoise, definitely check out garden state tortoise.

Attachments

• IMG_20150917_100326483_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150917_100326483_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20150917_100126672_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150917_100126672_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87

Neil Thompson

Today is my birthday!
I purchased two Eastern Hermann’s hatchlings from Chris this summer. Based on the care sheets he has published in this site and the abundance of good information he has provided on GardenStateTortoise.com, I was reassured that I would be getting quality animals that were raised with the best of care. It’s obvious that he operates out of a genuine love and fascination for these animals and is not an ‘exotic pet baron’ driven by profit. Many of the rest of us are able to take better care of these animals because of the work he’s done and information he’s provided.

Prior to making any decisions, he answered all of my questions quickly and thoroughly and he was very easy and comfortable to communicate with. My hatchlings arrived in a clever and well-designed package; I suspect the trip wasn’t much more than a slightly noisier night of sleep for them. They looked healthy, alert and were eating very shortly after arriving.

I highly recommend Chris and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 80

GRohr

Another great experience from Chris. He emails back to you very quickly and is great person to talk to. All I can say is great things about him. The torts were packaged well and safely and you can truly tell that he cares about tortoises far more than just making a quick sell. Before you go and get a turtle or a tortoise from a vendor that is just trying to make a quick buck, talk to Chris.

Garth

MegDH

I have nothing but great things to say about Chris Leone and Garden State Tortoise! I am a complete newbie with tortoises but I knew I wanted to get our first tortoise from a knowledgeable breeder and not a pet store. I learned so much from Chris and he patiently answered all of my questions. I'm sure I sent him some silly questions too! I could tell from our first communication that he not only was an expert on all things turtle but he truly cares about his animals, which is exactly what I was looking for in a breeder. I safely received my new little guy(who is SO cute and very healthy) a few weeks ago and Chris has continued to answer my questions which shows that he is not only a truly kind person he also wants to make sure his animals will remain healthy and happy. I will recommend him to anyone interested in venturing into the turtle world. Chris and his wife are also doing some wonderful things to help spread awareness and conservation of these amazing animals! I am totally hooked and one day I will definitely be getting another tortoise from Chris and Garden State Tortoise. My 7 year old son has loved turtles practically since birth and is beyond thrilled to have his own tortoise now. He has practically memorized Chris's website and wants his own 'turtle land' one day. I love that my son has someone to look up to who not only is doing so much good for turtles but is also a really nice human as well!

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
I have had a flawless experience ordering from Chris Leone (Garden State Tortoises) and would highly recommend purchasing from him. I have wanted a Western Hermann’s tortoise for some time, and the opportunity came up to get a hatchling from Chris. He was more than willing to hold my tort for 2 months until the timing was more convenient for me to bring her home. Communication was prompt and he was always happy to answer any questions I had. Now that she is home, I am over the moon with her. As a veterinarian, I have seen firsthand the best and worst possible scenarios in the exotic pet trade. Chris is among the best. He is undoubtedly one of the nicest and most knowledgable individuals I have had the pleasure of working with. I would not hesitate to order from him again, and would highly recommend Garden State Tortoises to my friends and clients.

surfergirl

Just like all these other members on this thread, I too had an exceptional experience working with Chris to obtain a very fine baby marginated tortoise. I became aware of Chris and Garden State Tortoises on Tortoise Forum when Chris helped me identify my adopted Herrmann. I immediately became fascinated with his dedication and work towards the preservation of endangered turtles and tortoises. His depth of study and knowledge is absolutely amazing! He is very humble and you would not expect that from such an expert in his subject. I have been so touched by my study of Chris' articles, videos and posts about Mediterranean tortoises that I wanted to add another Hermann or get my first marginated tortoise in my family. So, I emailed Chris to see if he had any female Hermann or Marginated Tortoises available. He offered me a great deal on either one or both! I had to fight my urge to get both but decided on getting the marginated for now. I really see more tortoises in my future and Chris will be my breeder of choice to work with.

Let me share an example of Chris' level of service:

My original email was sent at 9:23am just 5 minutes before Chris responded back- (WOW!) I did not respond for 40 minutes and then he emailed me right back in less than 10 minutes! (Holy Smokes) - amazing service I was blown away. we continued to email back and forth until 10:01pm that night!!!(unbelievable he was still responding and answering my emails this late!)

He said it would be a few weeks before the baby marginated would be ready and his concern for the tortoise was more important than anything else. Chris was going to make sure this baby tort had a great start and was able to take the journey to my home. I followed up with him a few weeks early to ask more questions about how the shipping processed worked when it was ready to ship and at that point he told me the baby tort was ready ahead of his projection and he could ship it out the following day if I was ready. We set up the shipment and today I received an awesome itty bitty marginated tortoise. He was packaged perfectly in a box. The box was marked well and the little tort was pack in perfect form to protect this little one on his journey. I opened the little container he was in, with damp moss and he poked his little head right out! I soaked him immediately and he drank and went potty. I put him in his new home and he immediately was active and curious. He left tracks all over the enclosure, I could not believe how active he was as a baby.

I took some pictures and followed up with Chris to let him know he had arrived safely. He helped me with some additional advice and instruction to make sure my next steps keep this tort healthy and happy for his lifetime.

Sorry for the long in depth post but I had to share my wonderful experience working with Chris! He also offered to send me a new article he is writing on the Marginated Tortoise! I am still in awe of his passion for what he does and how outstanding his service is!

I highly recommend working with Chris to anyone looking for great tortoises, super service and awesome endless support!
I will upload the pics below.

Tracee

surfergirl

Pictures of my baby marginated received from chris today!
when i opened the container it was in...his first poop....basking in his new home! 20160406_093908.jpg20160406_100256.jpg 20160406_103239.jpg

adamlyon

Oahu
Hi all,

Just purchased my first Burmese Star tortoise from Chris and boy, I just gotta say I feel I got the Lamborghini of tortoises.

Anyone who researches tortoises will be hard pressed not to find Chris Leone's name somewhere. So I knew I had nothing to worry about, and neither will you. The care he demonstrates for his animals is second to none. At first I thought he only specialized in Western Hermann's, but he specializes in everything he does.

I want to talk more about this tortoise. It's stunning, the coolest looking Burmese Star I've laid eyes on. I knew I had to have one as soon as I saw them. The pictures below will speak a thousand words, please take a look.

In the second picture you can clearly see a difference in Chris's on the right Vs the one on the left. And again in the third picture with Chris's on the left this time. I love how his is more yellow and has more defined black markings. Don't get me wrong, I love my other tortoise's colors and patterns as well, but Chris's just caught my eye.

My girlfriend and I agreed I would not buy anymore tortoises for a while, but that went out the door as soon as I came across Chris's post selling these beauts. I just told her I have to have it lol. Trust me, I would have sprang for two or more if I could.

Anyways, listen to me ramble on, I got some tortoises to stare at lol. Thanks again Chris for doing what you do, you have definitely inspired me with all your hard work and dedication. Can't wait to see what you do next, I will almost certainly be trying to get more next year!

Attachments

• 20160701_175707.jpg
    20160701_175707.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • 20160702_083952.jpg
    20160702_083952.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 102
  • 20160703_154322.jpg
    20160703_154322.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 97
  • 20160701_075554.jpg
    20160701_075554.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
  • 20160701_080001.jpg
    20160701_080001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • 20160701_075703.jpg
    20160701_075703.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
I purchased Tucker (Eastern Hermann's Tortoise) from Chris Leone in October of 2016. I am over the moon for this little guy (or gal). Tucker arrived safe and sound without a glitch and in impeccable condition Chris was patient and professional with me and my crazy emails! Thanks to the Leone family for their dedication and love of tortoises/turtles. You have truly made a difference in the world of herpetology!

Attachments

• Tucker.jpg
    Tucker.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 50