Christina's Reds (PICS)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
Wheat grass is very easy to grow, yes you should try it. Right now I've got a large Dracaena plant and I forget the name of the other one that's resembles a purple hosta. I looked it up on The Tortoise Table to make sure it was safe. :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Just upgraded the enclosure and they seem to have settled in nicely. I placed their old hide in there to help them transition so there was still something familiar.

Bubbles, my yellow gal, did just fine moving into her new home. Potato however, his for a couple days and when he did come out, his head was half in his shell. I could sense his irritability.

But thankfully, after a few days, he has adjusted very well.

I'm simply amazed at how well this enclosure holds heat and humidity! Thanks @Elohi for letting me steal this idea! LOL

I still need to add something to the top of the crate. Debating on real grass or maybe faux. I would have to keep a very close eye on them to make sure they don't eat it.

I've added textured tiles to the bottom of their big paint pan soak tub to provide some texture to grab onto. I'm not too worried about flipping, there is always someone home to keep an eye on them.

Anyway, here are some shots...View attachment 165897View attachment 165898View attachment 165900View attachment 165902View attachment 165904
Looks great! I may need to borrow some of these ideas too! ;) I never thought to use a paint tray as a water dish for soaking. Is that a tent or just some plastic you have over the top? Our house gets so dry that this just may be the best way to trap some humidity when we rebuild/expand our Russian's enclosure. The heat from the lights won't melt the plastic though? Also, did you need to seal the enclosure with Drylok or anything? I really like what you've done! Also, Potato is a super cute name for a tort.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
@Oxalis the enclosure is a "Lifetime Raised Garden Bed" that I purchased from Amazon for $120.

It's 4X4 and super, I mean, ridiculously easy to assemble. It came with the clear vinyl tent top. The bulbs I've been monitoring closely and if positioned properly don't heat the vinyl top.

When I first assembled it, I started out with two ceramic heat emitters and two power suns, because the temps in Michigan have been in the teens. But I was super impressed to discover, I only needed ONE CHE bulb at night to keep the enclosure between 75 and 79°.

The same thing occurred in the daytime, I only needed one power sun bulb to warm the enclosure.

The tent holds in humidity so well that I have to actually turn down the humidifier! :D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Wheat grass is very easy to grow, yes you should try it. Right now I've got a large Dracaena plant and I forget the name of the other one that's resembles a purple hosta. I looked it up on The Tortoise Table to make sure it was safe. :)
That other plant is Maranta, from american tropics, loves it warm and humid, sounds like perfect choice for reptile closed chamber:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
@Oxalis the enclosure is a "Lifetime Raised Garden Bed" that I purchased from Amazon for $120.

It's 4X4 and super, I mean, ridiculously easy to assemble. It came with the clear vinyl tent top. The bulbs I've been monitoring closely and if positioned properly don't heat the vinyl top.

When I first assembled it, I started out with two ceramic heat emitters and two power suns, because the temps in Michigan have been in the teens. But I was super impressed to discover, I only needed ONE CHE bulb at night to keep the enclosure between 75 and 79°.

The same thing occurred in the daytime, I only needed one power sun bulb to warm the enclosure.

The tent holds in humidity so well that I have to actually turn down the humidifier! :D
Wow, nicely done! :D I love it! Thanks for the info -- I really think this is a great idea! I can't wait to work on our Russian enclosure, but the fish tank is currently in the space so we're just playing the waiting game...

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Too funny!!!! How old is he? I'd like to be prepared for the shock
He's only 2! But I started noticing his plastron was becoming concave at around 1.5 yrs. The funny thing is, WHILE he was soaking, my 13 yr old son said, "when will we be able to tell if they are boys or girls?" Then moments later, TADAAAH! Lol! :D

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He's only 2! But I started noticing his plastron was becoming concave at around 1.5 yrs. The funny thing is, WHILE he was soaking, my 13 yr old son said, "when will we be able to tell if they are boys or girls?" Then moments later, TADAAAH! Lol! :D
Hilarious!!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Just a few new pictures! These guys are approaching 8" and almost 3 lbs. they're using their weight to demolish everything pretty in their indoor enclosure. Haha! Getting along very well.

Loving the different personalities. Potato (Red) likes to dig in the garden for worms. He's not a big fan of chin rubs. My yellow boy Bubbles loves getting his chin rubbed. He likes greens a lot, nettle and hibiscus are his favorite. He will sit nicely on my lap for a while.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467848802.556861.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467848821.956708.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467848870.672038.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467848889.660444.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467848911.447209.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467848933.206051.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467848960.551664.jpg