1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Christmas Gifts - New Diggs

Discussion in 'Greek tortoises' started by SweetGreekTorts, Jan 7, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. SweetGreekTorts

SweetGreekTorts Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Tucson, AZ
    I finally got all the babies moved into their new tortoise tables that I built for them for Christmas...

Every table is lined with Flex Seal to waterproof the wood. Then I applied "peel and stick" tiles and filled any cracks with silicone to waterproof even more (and have the inside walls looking nice). I keep the substrate moist and don't want it to warp or mold the wood.

Five of the tables are 4x2x1 to accommodate the marokkensis, terrestris (Jordan), terrestris (Lebanon), and the two Russian sisters each get their own since they've shown they cannot get along. All babies are under 3" in size, so there's plenty of room for them for now.

Two tables measure 4x3x1 for the Ibera locales (Northern Turkey, and Ankara, Turkey).

All tables have the same substrate, basking lights, humid hides, CHE lamps, cool side hides, cameras, and random decor. Each also has a couple of digital readers with probes to monitor the temps and humidity in the humid hides and the cool end of the table. And not to forget laminated enclosure tags and nametags to indicate who is occupying each table (in the event I need a sitter). I've set them up in pairs to share a 4-foot long Arcadia UVB lamp.

All the babies seem to love them, spending their days roaming, basking, and grazing their food. I'll add some fake plants soon. I also have shower curtains to place over the Russians and the Ibera Greeks since they require higher humidity. PicsArt_01-03-10.01.03.jpeg 20181223_151847.jpeg 20190104_104253.jpeg PicsArt_01-05-09.23.55.jpeg 20190106_090550.jpeg 20190106_090610.jpeg
  2. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCal Well-Known Member

Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    These are beautiful! Your hard work sure paid off!
    SweetGreekTorts likes this.
  3. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    Nice!
  4. aanch_mittal

aanch_mittal Guest

Waoo!! very nice work and nice concept also.
  5. Bee62

Bee62 Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Germany, Hardegsen
    Hey ! Well done! The enclosures are looking nice and your babies healthy and happy.:)