Christmas Present Gone Wrong (sad story)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
Wife shared a story with me that had her in tears tonight.

At a local store, that shall remain nameless, with which my wife is associated, an associate sold a russian tortoise with a 10 gallon tank. Two days later the tortoise was brought back dead.

That associate is no longer employed there, for other non-related reasons.

We are assuming the tortoise was kept under a heat lamp and was literally cooked.

The ignorance and lack of common sense of my fellow man can literally astound and enrage me at times.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
Theres tortoise people and then theres the majority of people who should not own tortoises,but sumhow decent people end up in this situation,they may not be bad people they jus shouldnt own a tortoise.Even me as a kid i had box turtles wild caught and they were my toys pretty much,i wasnt mean to them but maybe i didnt care for em the way i would today,it happens all the time they suffer at the hands of us,i went thru allotta animal before i had the respect that i exercise these past years,i know good people rite that if i let them watch my pacific chorus frogs for one week he wouldnt even manage the lite cycle properly,he jus doesnt know any better,sum of us do sum dont but i hear ya i hate it i hear the storys all the time i have a buddy who keeps his sulcata in his garge sink faucet bin and he puts the hose in there to drain the washing machine and he soaks his tort in the same place,by mistake of course he was soaking his tort and the washer draind,when he told me this over the phone i flipped out cussin-

contind-over ar him and hung up,i was mainly so mad becuz he didnt see it way i did,the **** was important sh*# i mean u dont let those mistakes happen,and his tortoise escaped out the gate,he put up flyiers for a month an ironically sumone brought back his sulcata...It turns out that i dont talk to the guy to this day becuz of differences but i still hope that sully escapes again for good...

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
You know whats equally as sad as that and frustrating? Places that dont have workers or employees, but rather "sales associates" that sell tortoises.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
yeah any kid with a hundred bucks could buy a tort wit absolutly no supervision,you may have to be 18,but it doesnt matter if your 50,sum people jus shouldnt own tortoises.

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I used to work in a pet store. People would come in and point and say "I want that one". I'd ask them if they knew anything about the care of the animal and they never did. They just wanted it. I was able to deny sales to anyone who I felt didnt have the proper supplies, but sometimes they would argue and go to a manager who would always make the sale. I did that for 5 years. It got to the point that I hated every person who walked in the door until they proved me wrong. It was always a special treat to get someone who truly cared about their pets. Its amazing how much "trash" walks through a pet store door.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Is that any worse than anyone who just manages to keep a tortoise alive for a short time and then gets on here and gives advice with virtually no experience what so ever. - OR -

Researches the internet and reads everything that's written in a book by someone who visited the country of origin and taken pics [ out of context ] and claims that is their 'lifestyle'........ and then theorizes on how to care for a particular species of tortoise and adds to the incomprehensible mirage of internet and forum nonsense! Unlikely ever having hatched a turtle or tortoise.. let alone an F2!.. or raised a hatchling that doesn't look like a pineapple at a year old.

Just had to rant ( the truth ) for a few minutes.

How many times a day do we hear about a sick or dead tortoise... or "Take it to the Vet! ( he can probly find an answer on the internet or give it a shot of something.. hoping it will work??? )".. right here. You don't know how many times a day/week I receive emails asking how to revive a sick one that was made worse by insane husbandry ------ and they make "miraculous" recoveries with simple care practices.

So for once I'm with you Balboa.....

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
On the ooooother hand, there are some of us newbie tort owners who care enough to find a forum like TFO and read it every day hoping to learn and absorb good husbandry. And take Responsibility.

scuseme

5 Year Member
RianSeeking said:
On the ooooother hand, there are some of us newbie tort owners who care enough to find a forum like TFO and read it every day hoping to learn and absorb good husbandry. And take Responsibility.

I second that reply!!

I made a commitment when I brought our new tortoise into our family. Sure I was (and still am) not very knowledgeable, but I care enough to learn. Even though I didn't know much about tortoise care when I got him, I knew enough to understand it was a serious responsibility. I know I am not the only "Christmas present" new tort owner who values the commitment made and will happily learn how to do the best I can for our new family member. Hopefully my story will help counterbalance some of the sad stories out there...

icicle

5 Year Member
It is sad to see that pet stores don't give the proper training to there employees on the care of the animals they sell.

Sad to see these stories.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
RianSeeking said:

I was addressing your and other concerned "Newbie" commitment that choose to be responsible.. 'hat's off' to you! BEWARE of those that have kept a tortoise alive(?) for a few months - maybe a year - and are now "experienced" keepers and then give advice OR start asking ludicrous Q?'s that really confuse the issue at best! OR those that have researched the planet for "facts"(?) on how they live in the wild and [ without their own long-term experience ] try to re-invent the way to keep them.... the way that has proven to work for decades.

Now those that I'm addressing - don't start your nonsense about how complex tortoise keeping is and how vital all of these multiple parameters are. The long-term keepers/breeders I know are very simple ( minded .. I being the chief ) with their husbandry - seldom or ever going to pet stores or Vets! [ we communicate among ourselves ]

Get a hatchling from a reputable breeder/source and insist on the credentials from anyone giving advice..........

I know it isn't easy.. and can be very confusing and contradicting. Were it not for 2 in particular that do post here occasionally.. I/mine wouldn't have survived this long!

There are a number of "experienced" keepers/breeders here.. go with those that "specialize" in the species you choose - they/we are more than willing to help.

"I've never seen a statue erected to a critic.. but to those they criticize, many have been"! - Author unknown

Happy herping..

Terry K

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
I don't have much real experience with Torts yet being a Turtle Guy, but IMO neither one is really what I would call a suitable pet for most. Reptiles in general aren't what I call "stupid People Pets" like dogs and cats are which any moron can basically take care of. Make sure they have food and water, a clean place to go to the bathroom, and a bit of attention and they are usually good to go. Not so with Reptiles, they all need specialized care that demand some research into their care. You have to be hands on and monitor heat to make sure its at the proper temp and that there is gradients, UVB has to be monitored, Humidity levels, you can literally spend hours preparing foods to ensure its varied, and in my case with Turtles you have to constantly monitor water quality, your cleaning filter media all the time, and your always observing them for health issues, aggression, etc.

Many seem to have the mistaken belief that Reptiles are hands off pets and that you really don't have to do much for them, many of my friends are like this when they see my collection and want to get some of their own. I quickly have to dash their dreams and give them the real scoop on how much work is involved. While the animal themselves might be a hands off pet in the fact that you don't handle them much, all their maintenance is definitely more involved, time consuming, etc than most other pets and is a more dedication based husbandry than the average person thinks.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
methos75 said:
I don't have much real experience with Torts yet being a Turtle Guy, but IMO neither one is really what I would call a suitable pet for most. Reptiles in general aren't what I call "stupid People Pets" like dogs and cats are which any moron can basically take care of. Make sure they have food and water, a clean place to go to the bathroom, and a bit of attention and they are usually good to go. Not so with Reptiles, they all need specialized care that demand some research into their care. You have to be hands on and monitor heat to make sure its at the proper temp and that there is gradients, UVB has to be monitored, Humidity levels, you can literally spend hours preparing foods to ensure its varied, and in my case with Turtles you have to constantly monitor water quality, your cleaning filter media all the time, and your always observing them for health issues, aggression, etc.

Many seem to have the mistaken belief that Reptiles are hands off pets and that you really don't have to do much for them, many of my friends are like this when they see my collection and want to get some of their own. I quickly have to dash their dreams and give them the real scoop on how much work is involved. While the animal themselves might be a hands off pet in the fact that you don't handle them much, all their maintenance is definitely more involved, time consuming, etc than most other pets and is a more dedication based husbandry than the average person thinks.

AMEN Brother!

Once the "basics" are established.. they must be maintained daily. It doesn't take anymore time to maintain 50 ( whatever the number - relatively speaking ).. than it would 5.. once the "basics" are established.

The above is the hardest part to determine and establish/find and really commit to... on a daily basis. Take one small piece out of the puzzle for very long and you have a distorted, deformed and often ill tortoise/turtle.

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.