Chuy has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
We are very happy to have Chuy, three toed hatchling from shelledfriends, added to our family! Already has quite the personality.

Today's events:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376439529.480043.jpg

Hatchling enclosure:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376439563.087403.jpg

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Last edited by a moderator:

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Looks fabulous!!! Nice enclosure and healthly looking little guy for having been shipped!!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Thank you!! He's (maybe a she) adorable and oh so tiny. Resting after his eventful day yesterday. Going to try and feed him tonight.

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Ahh...Chuy is so cute! :) Enjoy your new little friend.

Side note...my 3 year old names all his things Chuy because his favourite restaurant was Chuy's when we lived in Austin, TX.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He is the adorable and precious!! :) :) I love the pics! They are great!! I cant stop looking at him!! :) Enjoy your new baby!!! :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Perfect enclosure for a hatchling. Spray with warm water once a day, especially if you are using a heat light in that size tank. Baby Box Turtles are the cutest!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Thank you so much everyone! I just love the little one! He got a warm soak today after I dug him up and he ate one small pill bug and one tiny red wiggler. Didn't hesitate one bit :) id post the video if i knew how, its pretty cute.

I am not using a light or heat source, as this is what I was told to do. The temps are staying at around 77-78 in the enclosure with good humidity. Hope that's right.

I am just so thrilled to have him, and still amazed at his size. I'll be documenting and bugging everyone the whole way!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Yes, he'll be going outside for couple hours 3-4 times a week. He just arrived yesterday and today was stormy, so he couldn't go out. For the winter, I'll have to get a UV lamp.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Sounds like you are doing everything perfect to me.

Thank you for the encouragement! I've been a little nervous because of how tiny he is... Seems so fragile. But at least he's eating!

FYI-your turtle gardens are what helped me find the forum via google! I'm an avid gardener and was looking for "turtle garden" ideas and came across your posts from last summer :)

Picture right before the pill bug wiggled and Chuy devoured:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376581756.348364.jpg

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

sunshine_hugs said:
Ahh...Chuy is so cute! :) Enjoy your new little friend.

Side note...my 3 year old names all his things Chuy because his favourite restaurant was Chuy's when we lived in Austin, TX.

We ate at Chuy's last night ;) great restaurant!

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm getting a baby Eastern next week :) Chuy is adorable! My plan is to keep the enclosure on my covered front porch for the heat and provide a UVB light for him. I'm kinda worried about having a baby but I hope he does well! I'm excited. Good luck with Chuy! Cute little bugger :3

txturtle13

5 Year Member
wiccan_chicken said:
I'm getting a baby Eastern next week :) Chuy is adorable! My plan is to keep the enclosure on my covered front porch for the heat and provide a UVB light for him. I'm kinda worried about having a baby but I hope he does well! I'm excited. Good luck with Chuy! Cute little bugger :3

Congrats! You'll have to post pictures. I wish we had a screened in or covered porch. When we remodel in the next few years... I have some plans, that's for sure! That's a great idea.

I may get a little under tank heater to get the temps up on one end of the enclosure, I surely don't want him to get cold.

I've been a nervous mama because of his size, that's for sure! But he seems to be doing well.

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

Centexsnakes

5 Year Member
So very very cute!! Best wishes and your enclosure is just awesome!!

1.1 ball pythons 0.0.1 RES
0.0.1 eastern box 2.1 cats
0.1 dog

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Look who I found with his legs kicked out, all sprawled out today :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376705543.006330.jpg

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
txturtle13 said:
wiccan_chicken said:

Congrats! You'll have to post pictures. I wish we had a screened in or covered porch. When we remodel in the next few years... I have some plans, that's for sure! That's a great idea.

I may get a little under tank heater to get the temps up on one end of the enclosure, I surely don't want him to get cold.

I've been a nervous mama because of his size, that's for sure! But he seems to be doing well.

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

my front porch only has an over hang to keep the rain out, I was going to keep the baby outside so I didn't have to run two lights all day, UV and heat. My Vodka already has her heat lamp on, and since I can take her outside for a few hours a day she doesn't need a UVB light.

I am nervous about the baby getting too cold and wet as well. I am very nervous for having a baby that small, but I took very good care of a baby eastern a few years ago when my dog hurt it. I let him heal over well enough so no infections could get in his shell and released him near the wooded lake in my neighborhood. I hope the baby is large, happy and healthy by now. I figure I can care for that baby I can care for this one ya know?

Thanks. I guess we both can learn from one another eh? How old is Chuy? The baby I am getting is a year old. I opted to get an older baby since a two month old would be way to fragile for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.