City botanical garden mixing tort species

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
So I went to the city botanical gardens today and noticed that their tortoise enclosures mixed species. From everything I have read (I am no expert), this seems like not a good idea? Wondering if I should voice my opinion, and how the best way to do that is, since I don't have any qualifiers to make them pay attention. What do y'all think? Is it a problem? Is this common practise at preserves and such? What should I say, should I say anything?

So in one pen they have 2 sulcatas and one redfoot.

In a second pen they have box turtles (?), Texas tortoises (?), hermann tortoises (?), and a couple others I have no idea what they are. None of the turtles / tortoises had signs or identifying information. Note that I am NOT positive on my IDs.

I am including pictures. If y'all could help me ID and give me advice or opinions, that would be most welcome. I live in south Texas, if that is any help.
DSC_1146.JPG DSC_1155.JPG DSC_1156.JPG DSC_1162.JPG DSC_1161.JPG DSC_1163.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aside from the micro organisms being different inside each species, that make each other sick, sulcatas require a totally different type of habitat from the redfooted tortoise. They don't even eat the same stuff. But you probably won't be able to convince them to change their ways.

I think your best bet would be to give them a good care sheet for each species and humbly suggest that people might be better served learning the correct way these animals should be set up.

Sulcatas
Redfooted
Ornate box turtle
Hermanns
three toes box turtle
Texas tortoises

Remember - be humble not accusatory.

Something like, "It's so good to see so many of our zoos trying to set up the animal enclosures to mimic the geography and climate of where the animals come from. When people go to the good zoos nowadays, they can see what it's like where these animals actually live. In that vein, I've brought along some care sheets for you so you can try to set up your habitats like the land where your animals come from, to aid your customers to learn the correct way to set up their own animals." Or something like that.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I'll give it a shot. Thank you for the feedback, I was very skeptical when I saw the redfoot in with the sulcatas. And the Texas tortoise is a threatened species, so I was very surprised to see it in with box turtles and other torts... and why I wanted a second opinion on IDs.

I did some more research on them and their website says: "Many of the newer residents were donated pets grown too large for residential living; or creatures escaped from captivity and “on the lamb” roaming the streets"

So maybe they don't really know what they are getting or how to care for them... I talked to a friend that used to volunteer, but she said that the guy in charge of reptiles was 'a d-bag who didn't care enough about the reptiles'. So I dunno. I'm going to hit her up for some more info and see who I can talk to, and provide care sheets to.

Wish me luck , any other advise appreciated

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
And yes, I will definitely take the tactful / humble / trying to be helpful attitude.

I don't know that I will make any difference, but I feel that I should say something. It's been troubling me since I saw them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Best of luck with trying to help, and we will await your reports!