Clarification on Housing My Sulcata outdoors at night....please (:

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
Milo is 20 months. He weighs 5.2 lbs and is 9". I have a house set up in his outdoor enclosure, but I have a few questions. I am in Florida, so our temps are 88-68. If I lock him in his outdoor house at night with hay, do I need to keep his temps at 80 degrees, or will the 68 night temps be ok? Thanks!!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Ok, maybe I need to rephrase this. What is the acceptable temp range for their outdoor house?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In dry climates at least, adults can certainly survive temperatures that low, but that doesn't mean its good for them. With yours being a small/young one, and with your high humidity and rainfall I think you are at serious risk for a respiratory infection. Its a simple matter to put a Kane heat mat and a radiant heat panel all set on a thermostat out there for him. This will insure he stays warm and healthy even when your unusual cold snaps hit. Don't use hay with a pig blanket.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, Tom! What temperature am I aiming for in the outside house?

In summer when temps are around 100 and VERY sunny every single day, I set mine for around 75ish. In winter when some days are cloudy and only reach a high of 60, I jack the temps up to 86-88, so they have a warm place to go. During warm winter days with highs near 80, I set the temps around 80ish.

For YOUR guy in YOUR area, I would set it no lower than 80 year round. The electric heat will keep the box drier in your extremely humid environment. My area is so dry that I have to go to great lengths to ADD humidity to my night boxes.

Here are a couple examples of mine:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/