Classic pancake pastime - squeezing through rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKLC

5 Year Member
After watching this video, (jump to 7:54)
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KWVHixpEQ[/video]

I decided to give my pancake tortoise a narrow rocky crevice of his own to stimulate his pancake instincts. It has been a huge hit, and I can now see that his preferred method of basking is to keep his body tucked away safely, while exposing his front limbs and head to the morning sun. Here is a vid of him making good use of it.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIQWPOA6_YM[/video]

Sorry for the low quality, I have a pretty old camera.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Is it just me or is the shell being scratched by the top rock... Doesn't sound or look too good

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. I would still give him the crevice, but I would make it so he doesn't have to squeeze into it. I don't know much about cakes though, just doesn't seem good to me that he fits so tightly that its damaging his shell. Nice though, that you did give him one and he likes it.

EKLC

5 Year Member
haidao88 said:
Is it just me or is the shell being scratched by the top rock... Doesn't sound or look too good

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

wellington said:
I agree. I would still give him the crevice, but I would make it so he doesn't have to squeeze into it. I don't know much about cakes though, just doesn't seem good to me that he fits so tightly that its damaging his shell. Nice though, that you did give him one and he likes it.

He actually has enough room to get through untouched if he were to exit a few inches towards the background, but he chooses to squeeze for some reason. The white marks aren't there when he's wet, so I think it's as much the rock rubbing off on him

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
EKLC said:
haidao88 said:

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

wellington said:

He actually has enough room to get through untouched if he were to exit a few inches towards the background, but he chooses to squeeze for some reason. The white marks aren't there when he's wet, so I think it's as much the rock rubbing off on him

My CDTs also scrape their shells a lot on the roof of their burrow. I posted a question about whether it was OK once and no one answered. Like this pancake they seem to love narrow openings. Their burrow is wide enough at the mouth for them to get in and out without scraping, and yet they often choose to enter it at the narrow ends, and to sit in the narrow part with their faces in the sun and their shells wedged against the roof. Most of the rock markings come off when I soak them, but some don't.

haidao88

5 Year Member
yeah I guess thats the line you
Must make between cosmetic looks and the tortoise's wants

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as they can get through with out scraping, but chooses to squeeze through, then it's all good.
Sorry thatrebecca your thread didn't get answered. I try not to let any threads go unanswered, even if I can't help, I still try to give some kind of helpful answer, even if its just to get your thread bumped, to get it answered, so you aren't left hanging. I do miss some though, sorry.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Good stuff. They love the natural feel.

BTW great videos. I love PBS, they have the best documentaries.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
wellington said:
As long as they can get through with out scraping, but chooses to squeeze through, then it's all good.
Sorry thatrebecca your thread didn't get answered. I try not to let any threads go unanswered, even if I can't help, I still try to give some kind of helpful answer, even if its just to get your thread bumped, to get it answered, so you aren't left hanging. I do miss some though, sorry.

Oh gosh don't worry about it! You do a terrific job! And when no one replied I figured it probably wasn't something worth worrying about or I'd get a stream of cautionary comments. :)

EKLC

5 Year Member
thatrebecca said:
My CDTs also scrape their shells a lot on the roof of their burrow. I posted a question about whether it was OK once and no one answered. Like this pancake they seem to love narrow openings. Their burrow is wide enough at the mouth for them to get in and out without scraping, and yet they often choose to enter it at the narrow ends, and to sit in the narrow part with their faces in the sun and their shells wedged against the roof. Most of the rock markings come off when I soak them, but some don't.

Your desert torts sound just like my 'cake, he seems to feel a lot more comfortable if he is surrounded by rock when basking or eating.

tortadise said:
Good stuff. They love the natural feel.

BTW great videos. I love PBS, they have the best documentaries.

Thanks Kerry. I was on a huge kick with the reptile documentaries last year, and it was pretty cool to see the pancake tortoise in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.