Classified Ad Replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
PeanutbuttER said:
I've got to agree. This is much more in line with how a lot of other online classifieds-type sections are run. The seller lists the ad and buyers contact him/her directly. I don't see anything wrong with the change.

If the buyer makes the mistake of not checking or of not getting all the details for him/herself then that's their mistake. If however a buyer is being purposely misleading in the ad (saying it's a female when it's obviously a male for instance) then what though? Does TFO turn a blind eye to it?

Since when are "you" watch-dogs? PLUS you can always start a thread like has been done in the past about an ad on CL somewhere... isn't that true?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Nay said:
Hi there, well I posted an ad for a RF and got no responses!! Maybe it was because of the new policy??? It could be.... Na

Na you made no mention of how to respond if interested.. ever seen an ad ANYWHERE else where the seller didn't leave a ph.# or email addy to respond to?

The former "open" ad format was total nonsense anyway........

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Redfoot NERD said:
PeanutbuttER said:
I've got to agree. This is much more in line with how a lot of other online classifieds-type sections are run. The seller lists the ad and buyers contact him/her directly. I don't see anything wrong with the change.

If the buyer makes the mistake of not checking or of not getting all the details for him/herself then that's their mistake. If however a buyer is being purposely misleading in the ad (saying it's a female when it's obviously a male for instance) then what though? Does TFO turn a blind eye to it?

Since when are "you" watch-dogs? PLUS you can always start a thread like has been done in the past about an ad on CL somewhere... isn't that true?

Most classified ad sites that I use rely heavily on the user-base to report invalid information. So yes, the users are the watch dogs. They report it and then after x amount of reports they look at it and remove the ad and let the seller know why. This is common practice as far as I can tell.

TFO is not however primarily a classifieds site, so my last statement is there just to see if anyone knew what TFOs stance is in that sort of situation. For instance, what would happen if someone was selling a CDT as a sulcata?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have no doubt that the members would notify a mod or Josh and if it is that off base then I'm sure something could be done if not a Post about it then a notification of the seller.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
Yes, but its a sub-forum under the for sale section. The rules don't apply?

I would like to see the adoption section still open to replies, as I think that is necessary... especially in regards to shelter animals.

Why is it being "phased out" though?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The adoption section will remain open to replies.

APBT_Fanatic, replies in the For Sale section are disabled because there were problems with people dissuading potential buyers.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I was really just kidding around when I said, I thought it was the new rules that made my ad have no replies. but Gee Terry and Laura,Your right, I totally made no sense not saying something like email or Pm me. I guess I just assumed..... Thanks Nay

OOps actually I just went back to add to my old ad and it does say to PM me, because of the new rules. (Terry....do you see it?)
I guess no one wants a very nice RF. Guess I'll have to keep him. Na

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Josh said:
The adoption section will remain open to replies.

APBT_Fanatic, replies in the For Sale section are disabled because there were problems with people dissuading potential buyers.

Thank you!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
It's probably not possible, but is there a way to set it up so that the person that started the thread can make that decision (without a moderator having to change anythign)? Lock it or unlock it? Personally, I prefer them closed for replies. Conversations can take place in a conversation forum or in PM.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Tyler, that's possible but opens up potential security issues too. It's easier and more fair to disallow all replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.