Claudius

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
I've bred these multiple generations, here is a photo of the facility I keep them in, and a few specimens, for interest.

Attachments

• aquatic_systems.jpg
    aquatic_systems.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 83

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Love, love, LOVE this species! And your facility leaves me speechless.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. There is depth to your chelonian experience that you have not yet shared with the group. Which species is that? They sort of resemble the Chinese big headed turtles that I was fond of many years ago, but I can't say for sure. I'm no turtle ID expert, thats for sure. Great facility.

bfmorris

5 Year Member
Thanks, they are a staurotypid from Mexico; they are skeletally different from all other turtle species. There appear to be two different looking kinds of Claudius, one being a 'giant' kind, the other a smaller more drab typical common specimen. The locality for the giant kind is unknown; the original giant kind specimens were collected years ago in Mexico by a man that is passed away. I've selectively bred this giant kind through several generations into extremely colourful appearance and what appear to be a couple potential colour morphs. To me they are quite an interesting species that historically has been extremely rare in collections, having never been bred in US captivity before me. The last few years has seen wild caught specimens of the small drab kind appear in the US trade; though Mexico protects its turtles.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Wow, how big is your collection? Nice setup!

bfmorris

5 Year Member
supremelysteve said:
Wow, how big is your collection? Nice setup!

I have quite a few specimens I'm raising and breeding. The founder animals have since passed away, so everything I have I've produced here. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.