Cleaning products

Kara

5 Year Member
Good morning!

Lea seems to be a bit backed up; haven't seen a poop in several days. While soaking, it seems like she might be trying to go but nothing comes out. After reading a LOT of the 'constipated' turtle threads, I am on my way out to get a couple of the things recommended.

I'd like to try soaking her in the entire bath tub as suggested in one of the threads. I use smaller plastic containers inside the big tub. I scrubbed them out with Dawn and rinsed and rinsed Dumped the water and allowed them to air dry outside for 3 or 4 days BEFORE soaking Lea. I am hoping there's something to eliminate the 3 day waiting period! How do I ensure the tub is clean and safe?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I don't know, but I'll give your thread a bump!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would use the dawn, scrub, rinse well. Then do your tortoise soak. Dawn is used for animals all the time, oil spills. I don't think anything would be left behind with a good rinse. You could also just do a good scrub with no products.

Kara

5 Year Member
Thanks!

Did the right thing, for once. Love me some Dawn!

wellington said:
I would use the dawn, scrub, rinse well. Then do your tortoise soak. Dawn is used for animals all the time, oil spills. I don't think anything would be left behind with a good rinse. You could also just do a good scrub with no products.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, and buying dawn also gets money donate to the animals. I hope they are still doing that. That's what made me start using it in the first place. :D

Kara

5 Year Member
I've been wondering about the donations as well. Do they donate for every bottle or only the ones with the animals on the labels?

wellington said:
Yes, and buying dawn also gets money donate to the animals. I hope they are still doing that. That's what made me start using it in the first place. :D

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Also you can use vinegar and baking soda. I use it to clean out all my reptiles homes. Or you can just use baking soda a sponge and elbow gease. It works geat to. It gets out water stains with out scrating glass, that is what I use for my ybs. As for cleaning out your soaking tub I woulnt worry about it unless you plan on eating out of it. I just rinse with hot water, and wash it once and a while.

Kara

5 Year Member
A friend suggested vinegar, but the smell! AND the exhaust fan in the bathroom is broken. While I am a bit OCD, I only disinfected the soaking tubs before using them the first time. :)

jeninak907 said:
Also you can use vinegar and baking soda. I use it to clean out all my reptiles homes. Or you can just use baking soda a sponge and elbow gease. It works geat to. It gets out water stains with out scrating glass, that is what I use for my ybs. As for cleaning out your soaking tub I woulnt worry about it unless you plan on eating out of it. I just rinse with hot water, and wash it once and a while.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I use vinegar with water in a spray bottle for their enclosure. Dawn is great, just rinse well. ~C

Kara

5 Year Member
That's why I LOVE Dawn!

It rinses away completely. Especially if you're like me: Rinse, rinse, and rinse again to make sure!

CLMoss said:
I use vinegar with water in a spray bottle for their enclosure. Dawn is great, just rinse well. ~C