Cleaning question??

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
I have yellow and redfoots, I spot clean and make sure I get their poo outta their pens, which they normally go in their bathes. My question is how often should I completely change out my coconut coir substrate? ? My indoor Pens are 6 ft long by 2 wide 2 foot tall. I just completely tore them apart, cleaned absolutely everything, and completely changed out their substrate. When should completely clean them again?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I do mine once a year.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
That is a good question. The cost of the substrate can add up. I find it starts to smell bad at about 6 months. While my red foot does most of his pooping in the tubby (soak) he still piddles in his pen. I am anxious to see what others post.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I've had mine since march and have changed it twice, but that's because the Eco Earth I get smells like rotten eggs! So I just switched to coco chips and the humidity is lacking - I'm going to get more Eco Earth and put a layer on he bottom under the chips - so that'll make it 3 times in less than 6 months. lol However, it's just because I'm trying to find what works best for us. After that - I'd say once, maybe twice a year?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I never change it until I move the animals out of that enclosure and some new animal is going to move into it. Mine never get smelly. I spot clean as needed, but coir or bark basically lasts forever.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
If I remember correctly, you don't have to get rid of the existing coco coir. You can wash the coco coir or dump it in boiling water, allow it to cool, and put it back in the enclosure.

And I agree with Tom. I haven't really needed to replace my substrate. It usually breaks down and I just keep adding to it. The only thing I have to deal with is flushing the enclosure to keep the plants from dying due to salt build-up.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Once a year :D If you add pill bugs they eat the common plaugesome substrate nats and poop... I use coco coir.