Cleaning Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevlar

5 Year Member
Hi,

When people say they clean the substrates, do they mean replace them all with new substrates? or do they mean give it a good rinse then re-use them?

Also I want to know how do you guys spot clean on coco coir? doesnt the poop get mixed in?

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
I spot clean daily (I use coco coir) and do a full turn clean out every 2 months (empty the lot and start fresh). I also give it a good misting every couple of days because it soon dries out and goes dusty

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Kevlar said:
Hi,

When people say they clean the substrates, do they mean replace them all with new substrates? or do they mean give it a good rinse then re-use them?

Also I want to know how do you guys spot clean on coco coir? doesnt the poop get mixed in?

My tortoise poops in soaks only, so I never have to clean the substrate. I do a complete substrate bedding change every 4-6 months with coco coir.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

neonsparklexoxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
syracuse new york
My tortoise has never pooped in a soak and im worried he isn't going, I dont see any droppings around his enclosure or anything.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
neonsparklexoxo said:
My tortoise has never pooped in a soak and im worried he isn't going, I dont see any droppings around his enclosure or anything.

How long have you had the tortoise. Sometimes they eat their own poop? How long and how frequent are you soaking?

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
Sometimes Mort will poop in a soak and sometimes he poops in his enclosure and sometimes he goes on the garden. Hes a free spirit :)

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
bingbongbibidybobbo said:
Sometimes Mort will poop in a soak and sometimes he poops in his enclosure and sometimes he goes on the garden. Hes a free spirit :)

LOL. Mort sounds like a pretty cool and easy going guy.:tort:

Tech13

5 Year Member
Tech has been an equal-opportunity pooper too, going wherever he pleases :) I spot clean daily also and it's been easy with cypress mulch. Now I am in the process of switching to the coco coir for better humidity and he has only gone on the side that is still c. mulch ( unless it blends too well with the coir!) For total changes, I go by the rule, "the nose Knows" in other words, if upon sniffing it, it's not fresh enough that if you were in your tort's enclosure you would spend lots of time there, then it's time to change it out. I also thought (very briefly) about cleaning and reusing the cypress mulch, but then I thought again...To sanitize it without chemicals would be an awful chore! These are only my personal opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.