Climate change: Chaco tortoise waking up from hibernation

kidokistortugo

Location (City and/or State)
Argentina
Hi!

It’s autumn in this part of South America and Tortugo, my chaco tort, was already a bit slow, hiding/sleeping a bunch and not eating much all throughout April, which is totally normal for him. He had his last bath and food on April 19.

It’s normal that our temp lowers around this time of year, but it’s been a bit unstable these days with bouts of rain, chilly days, and then sunny days all over again. Ofc it has to do with climate change, we were having chilly (below 20c, not too cold) weather but today it’s super sunny and 22c out.

Anyways, when we’re sure he’s going to hibernate we prep his bed in a cozy dark box. Today he was fidgeting inside his box so we took him out and left him in the sun.

My question is, should I be feeding him? We have apples for now, the stores are all closed on sundays. I’m just afraid something like apples will do Tortu more harm than good, or that he might not empty his stomach too quickly.

The weather will probably drop again in a few days but still I’m going to soak him in a bit. For now im just letting him roam around and enjoy some sun

Ty for any advice!

TL;DR my tort is meant to be hibernating, but the weather temp is kinda wonky these days so I don’t know if I should feed him since tomorrow the temperature will probably go back to normal again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi!

It’s autumn in this part of South America and Tortugo, my chaco tort, was already a bit slow, hiding/sleeping a bunch and not eating much all throughout April, which is totally normal for him. He had his last bath and food on April 19.

It’s normal that our temp lowers around this time of year, but it’s been a bit unstable these days with bouts of rain, chilly days, and then sunny days all over again. Ofc it has to do with climate change, we were having chilly (below 20c, not too cold) weather but today it’s super sunny and 22c out.

Anyways, when we’re sure he’s going to hibernate we prep his bed in a cozy dark box. Today he was fidgeting inside his box so we took him out and left him in the sun.

My question is, should I be feeding him? We have apples for now, the stores are all closed on sundays. I’m just afraid something like apples will do Tortu more harm than good, or that he might not empty his stomach too quickly.

The weather will probably drop again in a few days but still I’m going to soak him in a bit. For now im just letting him roam around and enjoy some sun

Ty for any advice!

TL;DR my tort is meant to be hibernating, but the weather temp is kinda wonky these days so I don’t know if I should feed him since tomorrow the temperature will probably go back to normal again
I would not feed him at all, and they should never be fed apples or other sugary fruits.

Your weather is not due to climate change. Don't believe everything they say on the tele. Really, none of should believe much of anything they say on the television any more..