Climbing

ditzyangeluk

Location (City and/or State)
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Sparky, my Hermann, likes to climb and get into whatever he can. However, he keeps trying to climb the base of the side of the cage, especially the corners?
Also, at night, he just stops and sleeps in the middle of nowhere, in the open – and he really zonks out!
Am I doing something wrong or is he missing something?
Thanx

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
How big is his enclosure? Can we see a picture of it?

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
At the moment his enclosure is 31" x 16" but next month I am getting a tortoise table 40" x 30". Sparky is approx 3"

1-enc.jpg

And this is Sparky doing what he does .. climbing!

7-127.14.jpg 8-12.7.14.jpg 20-20.7.14.JPG 21-20.7.14.JPG 22-20.7.14.JPG 25-20.7.14.jpg 28-20.7.14.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm glad you're getting a bigger enclosure- that is pretty small and he will grow fast!
When I first got my Hermann's, Elsa, she was 4 inches long and I had her in an enclosure that was 4 ft long, 3 ft wide and 18 inches tall. This worked pretty well for almost a year, but she outgrew it quickly! :)

He's a real cutie by the way! I love that shot of him on top of the AstroTurf looking at the camera!

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
"Moozillion: He's a real cutie by the way! I love that shot of him on top of the AstroTurf looking at the camera!"

As I say, I am biased but I think he is soooo cute too - and that is my favourite pic as well, really sums him up!

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, the enclosure is too small. Is he new to the enclosure, because I notice tortoises tend to do this in a new enclosure, sleeping out in the open, climbing on anything with a toehold. Once they settle into a routine, his/her behavior should become more regular and predictable. However, make sure to get a bigger enclosure, bigger than the forty by thirty ultimately, if you can afford it. My margies have the run of eight by twenty foot enclosures, twenty by twenty in the case of my largest breeding female, given that she's my special number one lady.

T.G.