Cloaca Swelling - cause for concern? minor prolapse?

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I noticed that there is some swelling at the cloaca on my sulcata. He is about 18 months old and around 7 inches plastron length - I don't know if this is normal, or if this should be something I should have the vet look at. I tried searching on here for prolapse info and pictures for comparison, but I cant tell if that is what this is because its simply not so severe as some of the other cases presented here. Basically it just seems a little swollen. He is having already in the tub having an extra long soak... any information or reassurances would be appreciated. I don't know when the last BM was, but also any info on that to help it along would be useful too. Thank you!

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 80

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure that's a little girl.

It might just be that she's a tad constipated. You can offer her some aloe vera, or canned pumpkin (Not pie mix), or put her in your human bath tub with warm water. I say the bath tub because it offers plenty of space for the tortoise to walk, and scrambling to escape the tub sometimes loosens the bowels.

If its not constipation, she might have some eggs pushing on the veins in there and causing them to swell.

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
I'm pretty sure that's a little girl.

It might just be that she's a tad constipated. You can offer her some aloe vera, or canned pumpkin (Not pie mix), or put her in your human bath tub with warm water. I say the bath tub because it offers plenty of space for the tortoise to walk, and scrambling to escape the tub sometimes loosens the bowels.

If its not constipation, she might have some eggs pushing on the veins in there and causing them to swell.

thanks yvonne! should i be concerned with eggs pushing already? at this age and size? is there a thread i should be reading about this? "so you have a female tortoise - egg-bound 101" or something like that? *she* (this will take some getting used to) is my only tort and i don't have plans on breeding.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I don't think she is old's enough to bare eggs.

Ryan may need to be called Rion from now on:D

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
so in the past 12 hours or so, she's had a long soak, a bunch of cactus, some mazuri, and she's produced some successful poops, pee, and urates. BMs are a little watery, but a few firm ones towards the end. would there be any other cause for the swelling that i haven't considered?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
According to your IG pictures, you haven't any sand available, so you can rule out impaction. Maybe perhaps a piece of undigested hay got caught and nipped a piece of skin causing some irritation. If its not better (or got worse) in a week then I'd take more drastic measures.. Otherwise it is most likely just slight irritation.