Close call for Curtis (another case of reanimation)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I will forever be amazed at the sheer hardiness of tortoises.

In Texas, we’ve been having very cold, frozen weather since Wednesday. It snowed, iced over, and sleeted. Not a problem for a sulcata in a heated and insulated night box.

Unfortunately, due to a collection of electrical failures, Curtis did not have heat.

Even more unfortunately, my dart frog that I’d had for two years became very thin, and by the time I realized it had a vitamin A deficiency and could no longer eat, it was too late to do anything to fix it that I wasn’t already trying. It passed today. It did, though, take all of my attention for the past few days, and I completely neglected to check on Curtis. This is entirely my fault. I want to make it clear that I usually check on him daily.

When I went outside to bury the frog a few hours ago, I opened up Curtis’s night box. The heater was off, and it was freezing. Curtis was completely non responsive, stiff, and ice cold. Clear mucus came out of his nose when I lightly depressed his top eyelid. I picked him up, brought him inside, and let him soak in the bathtub in lukewarm water, which I slowly increased the heat of.

After about 30 minutes, I drained the water.

He was still completely non responsive. I touched and poked at his eyes, pulled on his legs, arms, and head, and flipped him over. He was giving absolutely no signs of life.

However, he was no longer as stiff, and while still non responsive, I could now move his limbs. I dried him off, left him in the tub with a heater, and came back an hour later.

He was, somehow, alive. As I write this, his eyes have opened and he is completely responsive.

I want to reiterate that Curtis survived probably 3 days of frozen weather with no heat, and reanimated after being completely stiff, frozen, and non responsive.

I wish I had taken pictures now for the benefit of others, but I’ll try to explain just how “dead” he was and what might have been a hint that he was alive. Curtis was at first completely stiff, but did not stink. His eyes were closed, but not sunken. After warming him up, he was no longer stiff, but completely limp and unresponsive, OTHER THAN his head, which remained stiff and I could not open his mouth. He did not react even when I lightly touched his eyes and moved his limbs. He was, I repeat, entirely unresponsive. However, he was very healthy before this, and eating like a horse. He is 5 and a half years old, about 15 inches long, and roughly 30 lbs last time I weighed him.

Never dispose of a tortoise’s body until they start to stink.

(The last pictures I took of him before this, one week ago today.)
A9047C67-8F59-450B-96D0-2FA2222261AC.jpeg2A7464C8-B3AA-429C-BF32-1CF2D9FC968B.jpeg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry about the frog, glad Curtis is okay. I would keep a close eye on him and be sure it doesn't happen again. No sense in pushing your luck.
Weather is changing all over for a few years now. I think you can expect more cold and snowy days then you ever have before. Time to be sure you are prepared for it and power outages.
Beautiful sully. Glad to see him enjoying the sun and eating.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Sorry about the frog, glad Curtis is okay. I would keep a close eye on him and be sure it doesn't happen again. No sense in pushing your luck.
Weather is changing all over for a few years now. I think you can expect more cold and snowy days then you ever have before. Time to be sure you are prepared for it and power outages.
Beautiful sully. Glad to see him enjoying the sun and eating.
Of course, never going to let something like this happen again. This is the first time a heating failure like this has happened, and he has been kept warm through every other instance of frozen weather we’ve had. Just seems to have been the perfect storm, unfortunately

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My goodness, Macy! What a story! I'd expect to read this in "Ripley's Believe It Or Not".

I can't imagine how horrified you must have been, at least that's how I think I'd feel. I am so thankful that Curtis has survived! But I think he might have some fairly harsh words for you! :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My goodness, Macy! What a story! I'd expect to read this in "Ripley's Believe It Or Not".

I can't imagine how horrified you must have been, at least that's how I think I'd feel. I am so thankful that Curtis has survived! But I think he might have some fairly harsh words for you! :)
I’m sure he does too! Maybe he’ll forgive me with enough Mazuri pellets…

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
MACY!!! Where the heck have you been girl? Please don't be such a stranger. I enjoy keeping up with you and your tortoise's lives and miss you when you don't post.

So glad Curtis seems to have snapped out of it. Would have been a terrible blow if he died.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
MACY!!! Where the heck have you been girl? Please don't be such a stranger. I enjoy keeping up with you and your tortoise's lives and miss you when you don't post.

So glad Curtis seems to have snapped out of it. Would have been a terrible bow if he died.
I know, I’m sorry! I really do want to get back into being more active, I’m just so bad at responding to and checking notifications. If it’s any consolation, I miss you guys too, and think about the forum daily. I do lurk every now and then, though!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Of course, never going to let something like this happen again. This is the first time a heating failure like this has happened, and he has been kept warm through every other instance of frozen weather we’ve had. Just seems to have been the perfect storm, unfortunately
Oh no doubt this was the one and only. Like the saying goes, when it rains it pours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Howdy stranger.

Do you mean "freezing" in the colloquial sense, like it was really cold, or do you mean the temperature inside his box was below 32 degrees F?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Howdy stranger.

Do you mean "freezing" in the colloquial sense, like it was really cold, or do you mean the temperature inside his box was below 32 degrees F?
I mean freezing in the literal sense that the box was below 32 degrees. Definitely not the normal 80

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m very worried about Curtis’s eyes. They look normal enough, but he doesn’t seem to be responding much to movement like he usually would, like holding my hand in front of his face. He also seems to have saliva around his mouth. I think I’m going to try to get him a veterinary appointment this week. I’ll have to look at him more tomorrow.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I mean freezing in the literal sense that the box was below 32 degrees. Definitely not the normal 80
I’m very worried about Curtis’s eyes. They look normal enough, but he doesn’t seem to be responding much to movement like he usually would, like holding my hand in front of his face. He also seems to have saliva around his mouth. I think I’m going to try to get him a veterinary appointment this week. I’ll have to look at him more tomorrow.

I think this may have been where Tom was going when he asked about actual freezing temperatures.

It's not that unusual for reptiles so survive very cold temperatures, but actual freezing (or 1-2 degrees above it) is sort of a hard limit. Tissue damage is more likely to occur, and eyes are usually one of the first casualties

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I think this may have been where Tom was going when he asked about actual freezing temperatures.

It's not that unusual for reptiles so survive very cold temperatures, but actual freezing (or 1-2 degrees above it) is sort of a hard limit. Tissue damage is more likely to occur, and eyes are usually one of the first casualties
I figured that too. Luckily he is now reacting to light and motion, so I don’t think, if his eyes are affected, that he’s gone totally blind. I’ll keep everyone updated on that

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Curtis has pooped since moving to the bathtub, which I suppose is probably a good sign. I’m going to offer him some mazuri to see if he has any interest, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a little too soon

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If there is frost damage to his eyes, it eventually heals, but it takes a long time, maybe years.
That’s good to know, at least. Not sure I could sleep well with the knowledge that I’ve permanently blinded my tortoise…