Close call for Curtis (another case of reanimation)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Alright, so Curtis is fully aware and responsive, and does not seem to be visually impaired in any way. He has not yet eaten, but I’m not sure that I would either in his situation. However, a small portion of the bottom of his back feet seem to have been frostbitten. A few of his scales are slightly pink, and some of them have become a bit gray. It doesn’t seem to cause him any discomfort when I touch it, but he isn’t walking on them much. He is able to fully move them, though.

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find much info out there about treating frostbite in tortoises. Is there something I can do for him at home that would be preferable to using a vet, or should I just let the vet deal with it? I’d rather not put him through the stress of a decently long car ride if it’s not necessary.

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
As a former Texan..what a thoughtless way to love a Tort..I live in Idaho..its cold and snows here..I bring mine in during those cold days..I dont want to loose him, or see him suffer..just like a child. He has inside quarters..heated..water..and since hes a red toed tort..himidifier. As a Texan..you plan ahead..and are detailed. Im so happy hes ok..You are given a second chance to be a Tortie Dad..so shape up..

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
and now spend a few bucks and get him to a kind reptile vet to confirm due to your carelessness hes ok. Im direct, but being from Texas I say whats on my heart..directly.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Assuming this is the same redfoot you’ve posted about before, it’s actually the only thing that was giving me just a little bit of hope, lol
It was/is
I'm very happy that you had a similar outcome

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
As a former Texan..what a thoughtless way to love a Tort..I live in Idaho..its cold and snows here..I bring mine in during those cold days..I dont want to loose him, or see him suffer..just like a child. He has inside quarters..heated..water..and since hes a red toed tort..himidifier. As a Texan..you plan ahead..and are detailed. Im so happy hes ok..You are given a second chance to be a Tortie Dad..so shape up..
Of course. He does have a fully insulated outdoor night box that is heated to 80 degrees 24/7 on a thermostat. Unfortunately, the breaker than controls his heating blew, and while normally everything would come back on fine, for some reason, this time it didn’t. I was quite distracted and did not check on him, which is my fault. However, this seems to have been “the perfect storm”, so to speak, and will not happen again.

looking closely at the pic is he pyramiding? maybe check with the vet whats happening..
Curtis is certainly not pyramiding now, and the slight pyramiding he has at the top of his shell is 4 years old at least, and will not go away even with a vet’s help.
6834AD80-86FF-430B-9EF7-A92EADABE85F.jpeg53E3B095-D00C-4E62-A04D-9AD79DD71106.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
and now spend a few bucks and get him to a kind reptile vet to confirm due to your carelessness hes ok. Im direct, but being from Texas I say whats on my heart..directly.
Unfortunately, most exotic veterinarians do not know much about tortoises, and can often do more harm than good. I am fully ready to go to one if there is something that they could better treat there, but it is a lot of stress on the tortoise that I would rather avoid if it is not necessary. I do agree that in this case it may be necessary, but there are no exotic vets near me taking appointments during the weekend.

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
Actually a vet saved my Moj. When I first bought him from Petco many parasites..small..couldnt eat..In fact, vet assisted me in application of meds as I didnt want to injure his hearing by holding beak too hard.. Just like people good and bad vets I agree.I respect your limitations in getting to vet geographically, but even in Abilene, there are reptile vets. You need to check em out and get referrals. Guess its up the newsfeed to make suggestions..but please bring animals inside if its freezing..and they need to be checked on constantly. Just like a child they need to be cared about.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i would suggest you put a light on his shed , when it's not on , you know something is wrong , the bulb or fixture either failed or there is an electric outage .......... it's a reason i use an infrared bulb outside for the p.r.manni , they also have a box with a che .... with the outside light i can see if the electric is out from the house at night .........

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, most exotic veterinarians do not know much about tortoises, and can often do more harm than good. I am fully ready to go to one if there is something that they could better treat there, but it is a lot of stress on the tortoise that I would rather avoid if it is not necessary. I do agree that in this case it may be necessary, but there are no exotic vets near me taking appointments during the weekend.
What a handsome fellow he is ! Perhaps you could have a phone conversation with a vet ?
I do hope he soon recovers
Angie

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Actually a vet saved my Moj. When I first bought him from Petco many parasites..small..couldnt eat..In fact, vet assisted me in application of meds as I didnt want to injure his hearing by holding beak too hard.. Just like people good and bad vets I agree.I respect your limitations in getting to vet geographically, but even in Abilene, there are reptile vets. You need to check em out and get referrals. Guess its up the newsfeed to make suggestions..but please bring animals inside if its freezing..and they need to be checked on constantly. Just like a child they need to be cared about.
Of course, I have had him for 5 years. This is a first. His night box is kept at 80 degrees year round, and allows him to go out and graze even during the winter, which usually makes it unnecessary to bring him inside.

I have an exotic vet. But again, they are not open on the weekends, and unlike your tortoise, Curtis is aware, decently active, passing healthy stool, and other than a very small patch of skin on his feet, does not seem to be in any pain. He is in not in dire condition, and other than providing ointment or dressing for his legs, I’m not convinced the vet would be worth the stress it will put on him. I agree that vets absolutely can save a tortoise’s life, but sometimes they are a gamble and it is better to, at least first, do what you can at home.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
i would suggest you put a light on his shed , when it's not on , you know something is wrong , the bulb or fixture either failed or there is an electric outage .......... it's a reason i use an infrared bulb outside for the p.r.manni , they also have a box with a che .... with the outside light i can see if the electric is out from the house at night .........
Yep, that’s next on our plan! Definitely a good idea.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Alright, so Curtis is fully aware and responsive, and does not seem to be visually impaired in any way. He has not yet eaten, but I’m not sure that I would either in his situation. However, a small portion of the bottom of his back feet seem to have been frostbitten. A few of his scales are slightly pink, and some of them have become a bit gray. It doesn’t seem to cause him any discomfort when I touch it, but he isn’t walking on them much. He is able to fully move them, though.

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find much info out there about treating frostbite in tortoises. Is there something I can do for him at home that would be preferable to using a vet, or should I just let the vet deal with it? I’d rather not put him through the stress of a decently long car ride if it’s not necessary.

Pictures might help to see how much damage there is. Initially, at least, I'd expect a vet to just suggest observation to see the extent of the damage. Watch for sign of infection/worsening condition. If its superficial/smaller areas, might just let the new tissue grow and the dead fall off.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Pictures might help to see how much damage there is. Initially, at least, I'd expect a vet to just suggest observation to see the extent of the damage. Watch for sign of infection/worsening condition. If its superficial/smaller areas, might just let the new tissue grow and the dead fall off.
3F996409-4EDD-41EE-94C3-A10940E2B83A.jpeg

Attachments

• FB5B747B-15BD-4327-8143-695F5B8402D6.jpeg
    FB5B747B-15BD-4327-8143-695F5B8402D6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5