"Closed Chamber" for Greek hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,
I need some input! Should a Greek hatchling (ibera) have the closed chamber setup? I had it on his cage... & the humidity was in the 80% area... But then I heard Greeks don't like humidity... So, it removed the tin foil deal I had made... Now, his humidity is in the 40% or so.. & he hasn't ate for the past few days. Does he want his humidity back? & should Greek hatchling HAVE closed chambers, & if so, what humidity percentage should I have it at?
Please give me some input, guys/gals! Id appreciate it!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The closed chamber that Tom wrote about is for sulcatas and leopards. I don't think the Greeks need that high of humidity. Send a pm to GBtortoises, he should be able to help you.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Just to simplify things, I like to keep my humidity higher than usual. Reasons why, in the wild, hatchlings tends to burrow down at softer soils with high humidity to avoid predators from eating them. Plus high humidity plays a huge role for hatchlings. They are more prone to pyramiding at a young age. So having a high humidity is a must. Also keep mind the diet. While they are not picky with food, introduce them to pellets and mazuri on their food rotations. This is just an extra info I'm throwing in. I like to keep my humidity at 60-70 if your wondering. I do have one side of the terrarium at 50-60.

Food info is just for supplement that's is needed for them growing up. =)

Just to give you an idea on my terrarium, follow me on my threads on my little Squirtle =) how old is the hatchling anyways?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"I like to keep my humidity at 60-70 if your wondering. I do have one side of the terrarium at 50-60."

I'd agree that those humidity ranges are excellent for baby Greek subspecies as well as most other Testudo species. A high range is considered more to be in the 80% and up range. Below 45% is too dry in a captive enclosure.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
GBtortoises said:
"I like to keep my humidity at 60-70 if your wondering. I do have one side of the terrarium at 50-60."

I'd agree that those humidity ranges are excellent for baby Greek subspecies as well as most other Testudo species. A high range is considered more to be in the 80% and up range. Below 45% is too dry in a captive enclosure.

WOOO ITS AN HONOR KNOWING THAT ONE OF THE ADMINS ACKNOWLEDGED MY INPUT! YESHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Thanks, you guys! I'll go work on fixing one end to be around that humidity. :) he just kept wandering around, as I couldn't keep it moist w/o the foil deal on top... I reckon he was upset w/it being too dry. :( I spray the cage down atleast 5x a day, & the humidity still dropped to 40% or so within 10mins. I'm going to go do half the closed chamber deal now. :) THANKS SO MUCH!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
What is your substrate? If you don't mind me asking?

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
I have 2 substrates... The bottom is Coco Soft, & the top is ReptiBark. Is this good? I have it kindve mixed together. But more Coco at the bottom & more Repti at the top.

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just a note: A closed chamber does not have to have high humidity, and can still be used to provide stable conditions even for species other than the ones that need high humidity.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I use the same substrate. The husk can remain dry and maintain lower humidity and just maintain the coir moist by straying the enclosure. The moist cocoa coir actually maintains higher humidity and the husk can keep it from drying out. Since they do love to dig, they can get the humidity they need by doing that alone. I also use one side of the cooler end with moss. Just an FYI.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
My issue that I haven't figured out yet... Using. Both these substrates, how do I get the coco to stay moist when the top layer above it goes dry? I mean, I've dug my hand in to see how moist it was, & it wasn't at all. Even after a lot of spraying... I don't get how to keep the bottom wet! Do I push back the bark & spray the coco, then recover? This one has baffled me since I got him on July 2nd! What's the best way?!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
if its dark brown, its moist. if it feels like duss like then its dry. thats moist enough for that humidity. ill send you pictures of what i mean. =)

light brownish is dry =)

another thing i do by the way is, once or every other week, i would take out the top layer, leaving mostly the husk, dump water, and mix. i do this to keep the husk super moist. cover the top layer w/ the bark again. i usually change the substrate every other month. i know some people change it a lot more but i really dont see why i need to change it ever so often.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Oh wow! Great idea! SIMPLE IDEA! :D ill be doing that tomorrow! A lot simpler than squatting there with the spray bottle, spraying for 5mins, several times a day, with a bad back! Thanks so much! :) you've been so friendly & helpful on here, I appreciate it so much! :D

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
=) glad i can help =) all i ask.... MORE PICTURES OF MOOKIE! i want to compare her growth with shelby =)

Status
Not open for further replies.