Closed Chamber for Juvenile/Adult Hermann’s Tortoise?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I’m pretty sure I did see a thread for this on here but can not find it anywhere. I know closed chamber enclosures are great for babies, but are they ok for an adult Hermann’s? Would this produce too much humidity/ moisture for this species? Is an open top table better?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I’m pretty sure I did see a thread for this on here but can not find it anywhere. I know closed chamber enclosures are great for babies, but are they ok for an adult Hermann’s? Would this produce too much humidity/ moisture for this species? Is an open top table better?
They don’t need as much humidity as other species, they should be fine Outside.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
They don’t need as much humidity as other species, they should be fine Outside.
Yes, but what about if spending part of the year inside? I currently have my Hermann’s in a open top tortoise table. He has an outside one as well, but I do not leave him outside over night and have kept him inside during this past winter. We are rebuilding my leopard’s closed enclosure and I was thinking of moving my Hermann’s to her current one when it’s done.

Reactions: Ink

qiangzhu

Washington
I do see extreme pyramid Herman pics online. It’s better to still maintain high humidity until they grow to full size

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hermann's tortoise, babies and adults, can tolerate a broad humidity (and temperature) range. However, they are most active and best maintained in captivity within a range of 50-75% ambient humidity. 60-65% is really the "comfort zone". Humidity levels can occasionally be as high as 90% for short periods with no problems as long as their is fresh air exchange within their enclosure. They should never be trapped in an enclosure with high humidity and inadequate air flow.