Closed chamber for this little guy?

Myidcw

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I some questions for this little guy.....
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385577289.263361.jpg
This is my brother's sully. This guy is about 14 months old and shell measured 4.5" now. She's been kept inside a small glass tank in dry style with wood shaving as bedding. My brother does soak her everyday. This was what the pet store told my brother how to raise a sully.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385577079.779949.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385577185.630377.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385577194.647741.jpg
Compared with the information on the forum and what I have set up for my own baby sully, I felt so bad for this little guy after seeming pictures of his enclosure.
Good news is that my brother is willing to give his baby a better set up after talking to him about how we people on the forum raising their babies in closed chambers.
So my questions are:
1. Do this little guy seem pyramiding?

2. My brother's sully is already 14 months old, is it too late to build him a closed chamber? Cuz closed chamber enclosure is actually recommended for the first 2 years for baby sully.
Or actually a big open top enclosure with a humid hide will be enough because my brother lives in Taiwan where the humidity is pretty high, at least 60- 70% all year round.

Thanks everyone!
I'm so happy that my brother is gonna build a better and more suitable enclosure for his baby now[THUMBS UP SIGN].

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, he has some pyramiding, not as bad as I would expect. Yes, he can still go I to a closed chamber. They can be in a closed chamber at least until they are around 2 or 8 inches. In the warm weather, put him outside and bring him in at night to sleep in the closed chamber.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Minimal pyramiding, that can be fixed! Your brother should join the forum or use your account to create a better living environment for this sulcata. Everything should be changed about that tiny, dry, cold enclosure. Please read all that you can about this species and teach your brother! Good luck. Please let us know if ou have any other questions.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You determine whether to keep them humid or not based on SIZE not AGE. Until this sulcata is 8" he will benefit from living in humid conditions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Myidcw said:
Yes, I already forwarded him Tom's baby Sulcata care sheet link.
Actually Tom's care sheet has been translated into Chinese [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Big help for those who can only read Chinese.
Here is the Chinese version link, in case any of you are interested[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

http://www.paludarium.net/5/post/2013/10/care-sheet-for-sulcata-and-leopard-tortoises-2013.html

That is HILARIOUS! There are pics from a bunch of different threads in that write up. I am very curious what the text actually says. Somebody spent a lot of time going over my posts from the last three years or so.

A lot of hatchling sulcatas are exported to China every year, so I hope this helps them! Thanks for the link.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Closed chamber for this little guy?

That is HILARIOUS! There are pics from a bunch of different threads in that write up. I am very curious what the text actually says. Somebody spent a lot of time going over my posts from the last three years or so.

A lot of hatchling sulcatas are exported to China every year, so I hope this helps them! Thanks for the link.
[/quote]

I traslated the pages for ya Tom, whats your email ill send it over to ya?

Myidcw

5 Year Member

[/quote]

I have read both version many times.... This person's translation is pretty accurate. [THUMBS UP SIGN][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Team Gomberg said:
You determine whether to keep them humid or not based on SIZE not AGE. Until this sulcata is 8" he will benefit from living in humid conditions.

Got it!
I will let my brother know.
Thanks [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
An some of them pictures look just like Tom's. Tom you are making waves over seas . I bet that makes you fill good about what your doing for the tortoise world . Go Tom!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure those ARE Tom's pictures! It is his care sheet, after all.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Closed chamber for this little guy?

Myidcw said:
Hi everyone, I some questions for this little guy.....

This is my brother's sully. This guy is about 14 months old and shell measured 4.5" now. She's been kept inside a small glass tank in dry style with wood shaving as bedding. My brother does soak her everyday. This was what the pet store told my brother how to raise a sully.

Compared with the information on the forum and what I have set up for my own baby sully, I felt so bad for this little guy after seeming pictures of his enclosure.
Good news is that my brother is willing to give his baby a better set up after talking to him about how we people on the forum raising their babies in closed chambers.
So my questions are:
1. Do this little guy seem pyramiding?

2. My brother's sully is already 14 months old, is it too late to build him a closed chamber? Cuz closed chamber enclosure is actually recommended for the first 2 years for baby sully.
Or actually a big open top enclosure with a humid hide will be enough because my brother lives in Taiwan where the humidity is pretty high, at least 60- 70% all year round.

Thanks everyone!
I'm so happy that my brother is gonna build a better and more suitable enclosure for his baby now[THUMBS UP SIGN].

I love that can by the sulcata . What is it Sorry for taking it off topic.

Yvonne G said:
I'm pretty sure those ARE Tom's pictures! It is his care sheet, after all.

I was trying to be sarcastic. :p

paludarium

10 Year Member!
Taiwan
Hi all,

sorry to dig this up. I was the guy who translated Tom's posts/articles into Chinese. Because I thought Tom's experiments were very helpful, I asked Tom for the permission for the Chinese translation almost one year ago via PM, and Tom agreed that I might use both his articles and pictures. I would like to have listed Tom's real name, but Tom told me that he was not looking for fame or recognition. However, if I have offended Tom's copyright, I would delete the posts immediately.

Tom's articles were very popular among Chinese speaking tortoises keepers, e.g. in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, Macau, Malaysia and also in the US. Although there were disputes about Tom's closed chamber, esp here in Taiwan, but I would like to share here with you one of Max Planck's famous sayings: "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

Erich