Closed chamber...how long?

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi...I have been searching for a while now to see if I can find out how long Leopards need to be kept in a closed chamber Hot & humid environment to have a non-pyramiding smooth round shell. I thought I heard/saw at least the first year but how long after that?? Thank u :D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am planning on 2 years but I don't remember how I came to that conclusion. I may have read it. More folks will chime in soon. : )

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Here is how I plan to do it:

I have a 6", 19 month old leopard. He has been raised humid from the start. As he grew in size he got to spend longer time outside (which of course is out of the closed chamber). After the 5" mark he graduated to spending all day every day outside but still comes inside to sleep in a humid chamber. His new growth is still smooth. I will keep him sleeping in a humid chamber until he is 8" or maybe 10". I haven't decided yet. Lots of us are still trying to figure this out which is why you have a hard time finding answers. This method is still fairly new and the oldest ones that I know about raised this way are Tom's batch of 3 year olds.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Team Gomberg said:
Here is how I plan to do it:

I have a 6", 19 month old leopard. He has been raised humid from the start. As he grew in size he got to spend longer time outside (which of course is out of the closed chamber). After the 5" mark he graduated to spending all day every day outside but still comes inside to sleep in a humid chamber. His new growth is still smooth. I will keep him sleeping in a humid chamber until he is 8" or maybe 10". I haven't decided yet. Lots of us are still trying to figure this out which is why you have a hard time finding answers. This method is still fairly new and the oldest ones that I know about raised this way are Tom's batch of 3 year olds.

Hope this helps.

This is all dead on.

When I moved my 9-12" leopards outside full time, here in my dry climate, I got some pretty pronounced growth lines on the outer edges of the scutes. While I was following the plan of outside all day every day, but still sleeping inside, the growth was all smooth all the time.

So to answer your question, no one knows yet. I would just provide a warm humid sleeping area for as long as you can.

Tort4u2love

5 Year Member
Indiana
Thank u guys so much ...I still have a little one but trying to plan for future needs. :) just trying to have a smooth adult Tucker.