Closed Chamber Substrate Hygiene/maintenance

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
So, I've been using a greenhouse for a closed chamber for about a year and a half. Everything seems to work fine, but there's one issue that annoys me to no end.

It seems like after about 2 months, my orchid bark substrate starts to stink. I spot clean daily and scoop when I see waste or excess food. It doesn't seem to help a lot. The water at the bottom of the sub just starts to reek in a couple of months. I don't mind cleaning and replacing, which I do. That said, it seems like I recall other keepers telling me that replacing the bark wasn't something I'd need to do too often.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong here?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So, I've been using a greenhouse for a closed chamber for about a year and a half. Everything seems to work fine, but there's one issue that annoys me to no end.

It seems like after about 2 months, my orchid bark substrate starts to stink. I spot clean daily and scoop when I see waste or excess food. It doesn't seem to help a lot. The water at the bottom of the sub just starts to reek in a couple of months. I don't mind cleaning and replacing, which I do. That said, it seems like I recall other keepers telling me that replacing the bark wasn't something I'd need to do too often.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong here?
I don't have that problem. Is the substrate too wet?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It does sound like the substrate is too wet. Id mix in a few new bags of substrate and mix it all around & get some air circulating about. You need moist substrate, but not a bog.

thecrawlingchaos

10 Year Member!
It does sound like the substrate is too wet. Id mix in a few new bags of substrate and mix it all around & get some air circulating about. You need moist substrate, but not a bog.
I did a full change yesterday. I'll keep an eye on it and see how long it takes to dry out/accumulate water.