Closed Chamber Water Retention Issue

P

pguinpro

I have a closed chamber, using coco choir and cypress mulch on top. Anyways, I have a soil/PH meter and mist about 8oz of water per day using a handheld spray bottle. For some reason the coco choir is extremely wet and the water is not evaporating despite temps being 95-100 basking and well over 75 on the other side. How can I get the water from the coco choir to dissipate or evaporate?! I've tried spraying less water but I don't get good humidity levels despite a 1inch window seal between tub lid and tub and no visible gaps on top. Suggestion appreciated...1540506398425.jpeg1540506473716.jpeg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I'd try cutting back to 6oz, then 4oz, until you hit the right humidity in the air and cypress mulch.

Jamie

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Mix the substrate. Misting alone will not enough because much of the substrate will remain dry and untouched. Pour a jug of water (whatever the amount) and mix the substrate thoroughly. Monitor your humidity readings and repeat the process when necessary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stop spraying and close the gap to hold in humidity, in that order. You keep spraying because its dry. Its dry because you are letting the heat and humidity out. Vicious cycle. Your humidity should be coming from the damp substrate. You shouldn't need to spray in a closed chamber.

P

pguinpro

Stop spraying and close the gap to hold in humidity, in that order. You keep spraying because its dry. Its dry because you are letting the heat and humidity out. Vicious cycle. Your humidity should be coming from the damp substrate. You shouldn't need to spray in a closed chamber.
You think that tiny gap in the aluminum really makes that big of a difference?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You think that tiny gap in the aluminum really makes that big of a difference?
There is an easy way to find out. :)

If you have wet substrate and your humidity is still too low, then your humid air is escaping somewhere.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
A true closed chamber means that humidity and heat inside cannot get out...you don't need to have an air gap. A daily air exchange when you feed the turtle is plenty. Digital thermometers/hygrometers with the remote probes(probes on wires)are better than having the mechanism inside the tank where there is high humidity causing problems with the readings. You may be getting inaccurate readings. I always had a couple of the ones mentioned above to check against each other. Make sure that the deepest darkest corner of your habitat is above 80 degrees when keeping humidity high for the babies or they'll get sick. I used to use a shadow box type coffee table that had an old 6 pane window as a lid. It had a gap around it that was bigger than I liked but it still kept the humidity pretty high... I suspect there's something wrong with your thermometer or hygrometer. And I would try and close up on any air gaps that you have...

P

pguinpro

I've sealed it completely. I've reduced misting to about 6oz and have turned the substrate. I'll report back with my finding in a few days.20181026_190432.jpeg