Clover or Oxalis - how to tell

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have both clover and oxalis growing all over this time of year. I have not yet seen a good post on how to tell them apart. Since they are so common, and one is a good food, while the other is one we like to pull out and get rid of.

Here's a picture from my yard just now. There is actually some clover growing in amongst the oxalis. Can you tell the difference? I couldn't for the longest time and it was driving me nuts! I want to get rid of the oxalis, but I'd rather leave the clover.

clover in oxalis.jpg

It was east to tell them apart when they bloomed as the flowers are an easy way to tell them apart.

Oxalis has the trumpet shaped flowers:

sorrel flower yellow wood.jpg

Clover has the round, "spikey" type flowers.

clover flower white.jpg

But I certainly didn't want to wait until it goes to flower. I'd rather rip it out when I first saw it starting to invade!!

The leaves are actually different. Here's the first photo again of my yard this morning. Both clover and oxalis (sorrel) have a three lobed leaf at the end of the stem. There are two types of leaves, though. One is more round or oval shaped. The other is a distinct heart shape with a fold down the middle.

clover in oxalis.jpg

So here's two good photos of the difference:

Oxalis, wood sorrel. Rip it out. It won't hurt your tortoise if he eats it, but it should not be eaten in quantity. It would be like feeding spinach only.

Note the heart shape to the leaves.

Sorrel yellow wood sorrel.jpg

And here's clover. A much more uniform round or oval leaf.

clover white.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks like burr clover to me, not white clover??? (the first picture, as the others are not showing up for me. Darn it. I wish Josh would get the picture thing fixed)

Also, I've heard that oxalis has things on the roots that regrow new plantlets, so it's best to dig it out rather than pull it and leave part of the roots in the ground.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Other than the leaf shape, I also look for the lighter colored marks that are usually found on clover.
I have never seen these lighter "bars" on the oxalis/sorrel.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great post Mark!

I also find that the oxalis grows in clumps that are easy grab and pull out with one hand. If I'm careful, I get most of the root system with it. I can eliminate a whole patch of it in two or three seasons if I keep after it and catch it before it goes to seed.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Sounds weird but taste it. As kids we would chew on oxalis aka sour grass, very tart. Clover, just blah. Oxalis is not recommend, very occasional OK not in bulk. Even safer for outdoor torts.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Oxalis also has a small seed pod that looks like micro okra ☘️[emoji724][emoji217]