Clover or Oxalis? (Yep, another one!)

Emily A

Hi guys,

I've looked at the other clover vs oxalis posts and I'm still not entirely sure what I have here - I change my mind every time I see a different picture! The flowers don't really look like any clover I've seen, and the leaves are slightly heart shaped (but not as distinctive as some of the oxalis pictures out there), so I'm stumped. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks!

photo 1(1).JPG photo 2(2).JPG photo 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Clover. Oxalis has yellow, bugle-shaped flowers.

Oxalis_stricta_habit.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to say that those look kind of like oxalis flowers, but I've never seen them white. Where are you?

ShannonC

South Carolina
It doesn't look like any clover flower I have ever seen. (I am by no means an expert!!!!!!) Is there some type of clover that grows on the long stems like that? From the pics, it looks like it grows tall like Oxalis, and the flower shape looks similar, but all the Oxalis around here has yellow flowers. (And the leaves taste like Granny Smith apples!!!)

Emily A

It does seem to grow tall, or at least long, as it kind of creeps along the ground.
You just inspired me to eat some. It was awful. I guess it kind of tasted like Granny Smiths, a little. What does clover taste like though?! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If our society as we know it ever crumbles and we all run out of food, all the tortoise keepers will know what weeds to eat. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't look like any clover flower I have ever seen. (I am by no means an expert!!!!!!) Is there some type of clover that grows on the long stems like that? From the pics, it looks like it grows tall like Oxalis, and the flower shape looks similar, but all the Oxalis around here has yellow flowers. (And the leaves taste like Granny Smith apples!!!)

I think she picked it at an immature flower stage.

Emily A

@Yvonne G, I definitely did - it's only just started to flower, which is what caught my interest. I can post again when there's more to see if it would help?