Clyde needs to be better at self starting

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
So Clyde is now about 8 months old. If I do but take him out for his morning bath he stays buried all day even with the lights on and during misting.

He's gaining weight steadily, eats well, and is active but only if he gets a morning bath.

Concerning or normal?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'd be a little concerned. He's still young and will still sleep a lot, but should get up and bask, eat, drink, wonder a bit each day. My leopard hatchlings are approx 4 months old and they are up and ready to eat as soon as the light comes on. Then they eat 3-4 times more throughout the day.
So, give us a run down of temps, day night basking. Humidity, diet substrate and species.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Warm side is 93-95, cool side 80 with a few areas that are 78, directly under heat bulb is 97-100 and nighttime low is 73. We have the lights on a timer on 13 hours a day. He gets a 20 minute bath each morning and humidity is between 65%-85% at all times. He is on straight ecoearth. He has a humid hide that stays at least 85.

He had always been a runt. He's up to 55 grams now and gains a steady 2-4 grams a week (he was 23 grams when I got the scale earlier this year)

He is fed daily a pile slightly larger than he is. He normally finishes 80-95% but some days he does eat it all. The food options rotate weekly. Each week I'll provide 2-4 things from this list:Romaine lettuce, Red and green leaf lettuce, Endive, Escarole, Radicchio, Chicory, Turnip greens, mustard greens, Kale, Collard greens, Spring Mix. When picking for the week I make sure nothing is doubled up from the last two weeks so he has variety (ex. If he gets lettuce one week I make sure he doesn't have it again for at least two weeks). He gets one or two mazuri soaked untill loose oatmeal consistently and mixed in well with the greens.

His light comes on before I get up so there is a chance he's getting up before I do but he's still on the same dig where he was the night before and nothing in the enclosure is disturbed so I doubt it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA