Coccidia in 5 yo Russian Tortoise

Moonfleur54

Location (City and/or State)
Millersport, Ohio
Just got back from our exotic vet and found out that my Russian tort, Miss Piggy has a very high load of coccida! She's a 5 yr old rehomed that Ive had since May of 2021, and believe she is an imported wild caught tort. I have a previous post on here about her eating almost coming to nearly a standstill since early May. The vet prescribed Albon (sulfadimethoxine) .85ml by mouth for 5 days, then every other day for 14 days. Just wanted to be sure this is the correct treatment. Everything on physical exam was normal. No labs were drawn.

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio
Thanks! I've searched the forum and did find Albon being prescribed for treating coccidia, however the dose schedule wasn't exactly how my vet has written it. Just curious how my tort got this. Are there any natural cures out there??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Or @zovick might be able to help too.

A bit from Wiki -
Coccidia (Coccidiasina) are a subclass of microscopic, spore-forming, single-celled obligate intracellular parasites belonging to the apicomplexan class Conoidasida. As obligate intracellular parasites, they must live and reproduce within an animalcell. Coccidian parasites infect the intestinal tracts of animals, and are the largest group of apicomplexan protozoa.

Infection with these parasites is known as coccidiosis. Coccidia can infect all mammals, some birds, some fish, some reptiles, and some amphibians. Most species of coccidia are species-specific in their host.

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio
Or @zovick might be able to help too.

A bit from Wiki -
Coccidia (Coccidiasina) are a subclass of microscopic, spore-forming, single-celled obligate intracellular parasites belonging to the apicomplexan class Conoidasida. As obligate intracellular parasites, they must live and reproduce within an animalcell. Coccidian parasites infect the intestinal tracts of animals, and are the largest group of apicomplexan protozoa.

Infection with these parasites is known as coccidiosis. Coccidia can infect all mammals, some birds, some fish, some reptiles, and some amphibians. Most species of coccidia are species-specific in their host.
Thanks for the info. Started treatment 3 days ago and will be finished at the end of the month or so. She's so strong and its difficult to get her mouth open, but have been successful so far. Made a little tool similar to what the vet used, so far so good. Just hate the wrestling match, feel she'll loose her trust towards me 😮😥

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_121004.jpg
    IMG_20220703_121004.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 3

BernieL

Indio, California
Try inserting bits of each day's Rx in something she loves to eat. I know fruit is to avoided, but on very hot days (which is the case often down here) I let him have a little apple. I could get some in a small piece of that. Maybe you have something Miss P loves, that might work too?

Moonfleur54

Millersport, Ohio
The problem is, she is not eating but a few bites a day. I could try squirting it inside a soaked Flukers pellet...she usually eats a few of those in the morning. Thanks for the idea! Will be in touch.