Coco’s habitat

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Hey guys it’s me again!

So coco is going through a grow spurt...
“I’m yet to get a measure and weight scale”
And I think we need to crack down on his upgraded enclosure and hide now!!
Wild..he’s definitely getting some color and he looks AMAZING!! ??
Eyes are definitely good..he does seem to have a loud breathing “sound every now and again” I’m assuming that’s normal!

Anyways..it’s still a bit chilly outside..too so outside enclosure can still wait a bit longer! ??

Any recommendations on what to do here lol? He is definitely growing beautifully...I want something bigger for him that won’t break the bank and there’s less construction to be built! My time is limited but I still feed him and soak everyday or every other day! ??
I can’t seem to find any tubs bigger than what he has..??? so that is is why I am asking? I have considered a tortoise table “made of a bookshelf” but finding a bookshelf for 20 bucks has been challenging! “ looking for something put together already! “ I suck at putting things together! ??? no judging lol

Attachments

• 5B37182B-B8C3-44C8-A81C-507B5234D518.jpeg
    5B37182B-B8C3-44C8-A81C-507B5234D518.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 34

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't think he's big enough yet to live in a table. He still needs a closed chamber.

You could get 2 large tubs and attach them together to make a huge one. You cut off one end of each of the 2, then slide one into the other and fasten them together.

Not real easy to do, but others have done it successfully.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Hey...suggestions please!

If you notice your tort having poop issues what should you do? I have fiber for him..and I’m soaking him! Should I have coco a little bit of water melon and let him walk?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Hmm this is interesting lol

Attachments

• C33B030A-40DC-46BB-B1BA-D9571A23C65C.jpeg
    C33B030A-40DC-46BB-B1BA-D9571A23C65C.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 28
  • D060E007-F603-4D45-AB12-E288E2D8F5C4.jpeg
    D060E007-F603-4D45-AB12-E288E2D8F5C4.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 27

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey...suggestions please!

If you notice your tort having poop issues what should you do? I have fiber for him..and I’m soaking him! Should I have coco a little bit of water melon and let him walk?
It could be his new food! He might be having a fit lol

OK, so you think he's constipated, but then he does a runny poop in his soak?

If I've got that right, don't do anything. What new food are you giving him? Are you mixing it with greens?

Just give him some time to adjust.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Ok...I’m trying to keep calm!

But today I noticed bubbles come out cocos nose! ???

Recommendations welcome! I don’t think the drops are working anymore! Should I get him the drops from that website?

I’ll have to tag the hospital I took him last for them..hopefully they will give it a go..without visit!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Remind me what drops you are using on him and why.

Did you see the bubbles while in his soak or a short time after?

A RI is usually caused by too cool temps. Double check your temps, especially low at night, at tort height. If you really think he has a RI, raise his temps to a low of 85 or so. Cold causes RI's...heat cures RI's.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
It was while soaking and a moment after!

His temps are actually @low 100’s during the day! I think it has gone up to 115 at some point! At night it’s high 90’s and 80’s!
i have a heat lamp on at night and my room is around 78 anyways on purpose! ??

I get cold anyways around 3-5 am my time!

These drops were proscribed for his swollen eyes and nose! But now i haven’t really used them for a moment now cause it has gone down!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It was while soaking and a moment after!

His temps are actually @low 100’s during the day! I think it has gone up to 115 at some point! At night it’s high 90’s and 80’s!
i have a heat lamp on at night and my room is around 78 anyways on purpose! ??

I get cold anyways around 3-5 am my time!

These drops were proscribed for his swollen eyes and nose! But now i haven’t really used them for a moment now cause it has gone down!

Don't worry about nose drips while soaking or for a while after.

You really don't need temps that high! Even desert torts can easily overheat at high temps that they can't escape. Coco could die with temps like that.

His overnight low should be around 80°F, and also the ambient during the day. His basking should be 95-100.

Don't let it go up that high again!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Don't worry about nose drips while soaking or for a while after.

You really don't need temps that high! Even desert torts can easily overheat at high temps that they can't escape. Coco could die with temps like that.

His overnight low should be around 80°F, and also the ambient during the day. His basking should be 95-100.

Don't let it go up that high again!
his basking area is in those temperatures! Including the night temperatures! Other areas of his enclosure no!! He likes sleeping in his hide most times and comes out half way to be warmer! ?
His hide varies from 75-83 ! His cooler sides are around high 70’s! ??
But ok..I’ll keep that in mind!!??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I did this today!

Noticed his substrate was getting a little too dry so I cleaned what I could of his poop and dry lettuce! And wet his substrate a little and added the reptile bark! I agree with @Tom the bark is way better! Still allow them to burrow themselves..but it also allow them to have a clean walk way and food area! I should of stuck with this sooner....I’ll be getting this instead in the future!! ??

Attachments

• 7525B5D2-083F-4825-B0CC-75754443D279.jpeg
    7525B5D2-083F-4825-B0CC-75754443D279.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 82A48B96-6E75-4153-B66B-EC942FD9D4BD.jpeg
    82A48B96-6E75-4153-B66B-EC942FD9D4BD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Today he pooped like this!
He tried eating it or was seeing what it was!

I’m keeping an eye on it! ??

Once in a while I know it’s normal! ?

Attachments

• 2AF2E87C-13F5-44BB-8A72-20831CA8E533.jpeg
    2AF2E87C-13F5-44BB-8A72-20831CA8E533.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 7EA8544A-0290-467B-B7F3-0E28FC49D470.jpeg
    7EA8544A-0290-467B-B7F3-0E28FC49D470.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did this today!

Noticed his substrate was getting a little too dry so I cleaned what I could of his poop and dry lettuce! And wet his substrate a little and added the reptile bark! I agree with @Tom the bark is way better! Still allow them to burrow themselves..but it also allow them to have a clean walk way and food area! I should of stuck with this sooner....I’ll be getting this instead in the future!! ??
What is in the two fixtures? They usually sell those with a spot bulb and a cfl UV bulb. Neither of those bulbs should be used with tortoises. You also need a much larger enclosure.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Im working in the enclosure..??

I’m using a heat lamp and his regular light for heat for him! “I’m not using the UVB”
I’m gonna work on getting his outside enclosure for during the day for UVB and getting him a bigger enclosure soon!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
So I’m considering getting him a tortoise table or something for the outside for him to be in the sun “with hide and most likely food and water”! Just for during the day! ??

I’ll give updates once I find something that looks like it will work! Cause we only have front yard at the moment so..we’ll figure it out!