Coco coir for my horse field tortoise

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
Hi people can I please have some information about the coco coir I have soaked it n drained a lot of the water as it was really wet is it ok to use just coco coir on its own with out mixing with something n also can u use this in my tortoise wooden box hide were he sleeps n also what is the correct humidity level required for the enclose I use a table but I AV today made a Perspex top to close it up as I believe that my tortoise change in behaviour could be temperature issues as I live in the uk and my climate is cold compared to abroad

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi people can I please have some information about the coco coir I have soaked it n drained a lot of the water as it was really wet is it ok to use just coco coir on its own with out mixing with something n also can u use this in my tortoise wooden box hide were he sleeps n also what is the correct humidity level required for the enclose I use a table but I AV today made a Perspex top to close it up as I believe that my tortoise change in behaviour could be temperature issues as I live in the uk and my climate is cold compared to abroad

Your coir should be damp, but not wet. No need to mix it with anything. You can use it in your hide box too. For young growing horsfield tortoises, I prefer ambient humidity to be around 50-70%. As long as you have damp substrate for them to burrow into, a humid hide, and soak them regularly, that moderate level of humidity should suit him fine. For older russians, a little lower is fine.

What are your four temperatures and what equipment are you using to maintain them? Any UV bulbs? What type?

Laura1412

5 Year Member
That is the bulb I use my bask in spot is showing at 35 cold end showing at 23 n night time as Iv just looked is at 21 but this are the readings on the exo terra disc thermometers I'm waitin for my infra red hand help thermometer to check accurately I'm goin to get the coco In in the mornin while he is in his bath do u think I AV done right by covering his tortoise table with a Perspex top as my climate is not as warm as abroad

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Warm side showing at 28 I no u advise yesterday Tom to up bask in to 37 which wen I get infrared heat gun thermometer I will lower my light accordingly to get 37 however I have not yet in case it's warmer then what my thermometers are sayin so just waitin for my proper thermometer which will b here tomorrow

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is the bulb I use my bask in spot is showing at 35 cold end showing at 23 n night time as Iv just looked is at 21 but this are the readings on the exo terra disc thermometers I'm waitin for my infra red hand help thermometer to check accurately I'm goin to get the coco In in the mornin while he is in his bath do u think I AV done right by covering his tortoise table with a Perspex top as my climate is not as warm as abroad

Arcadia makes high quality stuff. I think all that sounds pretty good. Once you verify that your basking temp is set correctly, then you'll be all set.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Thank u so much for ur help tom Iv also changed that water bowl and put a plant pot saucer in I'm just hope now that the lid is on n hopefully keepin his enclosure warmer he will start comin out of his hide more like he used to