Coco coir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Where do you guys normally buy your coco coir from? Is it I'm brick form or loose? I asked the guy at Home Depot if they had anyone he looked at me like I was stupid and then I asked if they sold dandelion seeds or plants and he looked at me like I was crazy and told me to 'pick some from my neighbors yard'. Gunna order some seed mix on Friday but would like to find the coco coir soon also.

Minority1

5 Year Member
Did you mention that it was a form of substrate and soil addictive? That it is really just fine grade coconut peat?

Chances are you found an employee that was not very knowledgeable of the gardening section. It can also be because some stores don't carry the product so the employees wouldn't be able to help.

You can find coconut coir bricks from petstores and online retail sites. I haven't used the loose form but I prefer bricks because I pour boiling water on my coconut coir bricks to ensure any potential worms or bugs stay dead before my tortoise touches it.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'm going to try lowes or Armstrong. I walked all over the gardening section and didn't find it. This guy has helped me before and was helpful and slightly knowledgable I think today he just didn't want to deal with customers.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't think its easiest to find on Amazon.com or at petstores. I know Petsmart has it. Not sure about Petco. I'm assuming that you are in the US??

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I am in the us. Petsmart does carry it but its so much cheaper from what I've ready to buy the bricks at a gardening center,

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Opps I meant that I do think its easiest... and I'm sure home improvement places are cheaper. Plus you don't have to wait for shipping or anything like that. I have never seen it at any of the places near me though :( Good Luck!

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
I got this 50litre bag on Amazon ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365596746.964373.jpg

£18.99 delivered,
So thats around $12

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I'm in So Cal and I bought it at Target in the garden section near the seeds. It was 2.47 a brick. Go online if your store no longer has it. Attached is a pic of what I got. Maybe even the Burpee website too, check there. Hopefully, it's still at your store.

Attachments

• burpee seed coco fiber.jpg
    burpee seed coco fiber.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.