Coco my redfoot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
How is it likely that my redfoot tortoise likes being in an air conditioned environment rather than having a hot heat lamp heat her enclosed environment. my lamp broke a couple weeks back and ive been lately finding out she is enjoying being in a cooler environment rather than a heated area. her usually enclosure temp is 80 normal, 90 on heated side under the lamp. but here is where it comes into play.

with the heat lamp on she just stays in her hut all day and only comes out to eat.

without the heat lamp she still sleeps in her hut alot. but she also roams around her enclosure alot more and sleeps out there to somtimes. and she eats when i feed her.

just seems kind of strange that she likes this environment more even though she is a tropical tortoise. she hasnt showed any significant signs that she is uncomfortable. she is alot more active

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I think you are playing with fire if you allow her to be in an environment that is not conducive to her required temps....she needs a certain temp to digest, to warm up to eat.....I would wonder if when you checked your temps the device you were using may have been off.....I notice that with the redfoot torts here ---a few degrees absolutely makes a noticeable difference in their activity and food consumption....

I know that if your enclosure is moist/high humidity and you continue to have low temps (under 78-80) then you may find your tort may have issues....

Maybe you will want to offer a cool dry side for her in which the temps drop a little more near the 78 mark so that she has that cooler spot as an option for her regulating her temps and in turn her activities....:D

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I think you are playing with fire if you allow her to be in an environment that is not conducive to her required temps....she needs a certain temp to digest, to warm up to eat.....I would wonder if when you checked your temps the device you were using may have been off.....I notice that with the redfoot torts here ---a few degrees absolutely makes a noticeable difference in their activity and food consumption....

I know that if your enclosure is moist/high humidity and you continue to have low temps (under 78-80) then you may find your tort may have issues....

Maybe you will want to offer a cool dry side for her in which the temps drop a little more near the 78 mark so that she has that cooler spot as an option for her regulating her temps and in turn her activities....:D

ok thanks. ill will do that. could i try a lower wattage bulb like 100watt bulb? maybe she thought 150 was alittbit to much! im assuming

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
What may be the problem is the heat lamp is putting off more light then is comfortable for her. RFs prefer subdued light such can be found in shaded areas. I suggest you try a Ceremic Heat Emitter on the warm side and let the ambient light of the room be her illumination.

Status
Not open for further replies.