Coconut coir and top soil?

OurTommy

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Just a quick question.

Looking to change my Russian Tortoises current substrate from a soil/sand mix, to coconut coir and topsoil one.

Seems to be the best recommended one after reading much on here.

Just want to know if these 2 items are would be appropriate for the job, if so I shall buy tomorrow.

Coconut Coir - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/coco-coir-fibre-brick-by-monkfield-58706

Top soil - http://www.wilko.com/compost+composters/wilko-graded-top-soil-20l/invt/0339935

Thanks in advance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes on the coir, just soak it in water to get it too expand. Then either let it dry some or squeeze out the extra water. The soil, yes, as long as it does not have any fertilizers or pesticides.

OurTommy

UK
wellington said:
Yes on the coir, just soak it in water to get it too expand. Then either let it dry some or squeeze out the extra water. The soil, yes, as long as it does not have any fertilizers or pesticides.

Thank you very much.

Will be sorting that out tomorrow!

wellington said:

Do I literally mix the 2 together once I have soaked and drained the coir?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
OurTommy said:
Do I literally mix the 2 together once I have soaked and drained the coir?

Yes. The process is a bit messy but works well. Depending on the ratio you're using, you might have to pack it down after putting it in the enclosure.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I use just coir and it works great, although it does dry out pretty quickly so I have to mix in water and mist it often.

OurTommy

UK
Greg T said:
I use just coir and it works great, although it does dry out pretty quickly so I have to mix in water and mist it often.

Failed to get some top soil today but the coconut coir did arrive.

So you recommend just using the coir on its own? Might just try that then.

Thank you