Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am on a few other group forums.
The past coiled compact florescent bulb issue is known on them also. This one is advising members to stay away from them.
This discussion is not just a TFO thing.
This is a quote off of a care sheet. Not my content:

"A manufacturing fault meant compact coiled UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye problems in chameleons in the past.
These problems have apparently been fixed now but I would still be wary of buying one. They also don’t provide the same level of UVB coverage as a strip bulb does."

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I feel as though lots of debates like this are based on well-meaning tortoise owners recycling ghost stories and urban legends from old sites and Facebook groups... things they heard from people who heard things from other people who heard things from still other people, with no science at the bottom once you dig down through the layers, just dogma.

I've been trying out a coiled bulb, keeping a close eye on the tort's health and UV levels over time, and it seems to be working pretty well.

Jamie

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I feel as though lots of debates like this are based on well-meaning tortoise owners recycling ghost stories and urban legends from old sites and Facebook groups... things they heard from people who heard things from other people who heard things from still other people, with no science at the bottom once you dig down through the layers, just dogma.

I've been trying out a coiled bulb, keeping a close eye on the tort's health and UV levels over time, and it seems to be working pretty well.

Jamie
I like the idea of them.
Space is very precious on top of my Chameleons cages. And my strip lights take up 50% of that real estate.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There has been so much advancement in lighting in the past 5-8 years! This problem was 11 years ago. The bulbs today are so much better than we had 10 years ago - all types of bulbs from LEDs to fluorescents. Some of the new compacts UVB bulbs are pretty impressive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am on a few other group forums.
The past coiled compact florescent bulb issue is known on them also. This one is advising members to stay away from them.
This discussion is not just a TFO thing.
This is a quote off of a care sheet. Not my content:

"A manufacturing fault meant compact coiled UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye problems in chameleons in the past.
These problems have apparently been fixed now but I would still be wary of buying one. They also don’t provide the same level of UVB coverage as a strip bulb does."
I moderate Josh's gecko, bearded dragon and tegu forums and coiled bulbs are a no no on those forums too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There has been so much advancement in lighting in the past 5-8 years! This problem was 11 years ago. The bulbs today are so much better than we had 10 years ago - all types of bulbs from LEDs to fluorescents. Some of the new compacts UVB bulbs are pretty impressive.
The problem being the old bulbs weren't recalled and are still on the shelves.

Cpassmore

Ontario Canada
What I don't get is why this is even a debate still....assuming your animals health is your top priority. If you get better UVB from a strip light and you don't run the risk of eye damage is the price difference, or size difference really worth the risk??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
What I don't get is why this is even a debate still....assuming your animals health is your top priority. If you get better UVB from a strip light and you don't run the risk of eye damage is the price difference, or size difference really worth the risk??
In some cases that smaller size could be a real help.
And most keepers already have a suitable dome fixture. (Although finding one the mounts the bulb horizontally is harder to find)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest that anyone questioning dogma about lighting doesn't care about the health of the tortoises that they live with... ;)

Also, I think you, and lots of people, make assumptions about the lighting options out there that are unfounded, unproven, or at least out of date.

At the end of the day, I think it's a debate because the science and technology constantly changes in reptile husbandry, and sticking to old thinking without questioning, and studying, different ways of caring for our tortoises is a path to stagnation, IMHO.

Jamie

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Jamie
Except we still have seen some recently on here!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Jamie
This is insulting. My first hand experiences and those of the reptile vets I work with are NOT ghost stories, urban legends, or dogma. Only a fool ignores credible evidence from a credible source. You'll learn the hard way when you eventually get hold of a bad bulb, and your animal will suffer for it.

Cpassmore

Ontario Canada
Sorry, I'm not suggesting anyone doesn't care about their torts...I understand that lighting technology is ever changing and evolving, all I'm saying is at this moment is the risk really worth the reward? Ultimately that's what I think this debate really boils down to

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Jamie
And its also not going to be a ghost story when someone's Russian or desert tortoise gets burned on a heat mat because you keep saying its fine because your red foot hasn't burned itself yet. What you fail to understand is that your sample size is exceedingly small to be drawing such conclusions. Tortoises will suffer for your publicly displayed ignorance Jaime.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
And its also not going to be a ghost story when someone's Russian or desert tortoise gets burned on a heat mat because you keep saying its fine because your red foot hasn't burned itself yet. What you fail to understand is that your sample size is exceedingly small to be drawing such conclusions. Tortoises will suffer for your publicly displayed ignorance Jaime.
That's insulting, Tom, the fact that you haven't read my posts about running seedling mats through thermostats... actually, it's not insulting, we just disagree and you're taking it personally that I, among others, don't agree with you.

Have a good night and happy holidays.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.