Cold nights in their burrow

Walkers

5 Year Member
So I currently have one of my sulcatas down in his burrow, about 5 feet deep. I live in Southern California and it's raining lightly and is supposed to be 46 tonight. I'm assuming his extinct will kick in and he'll come out if he gets too cold or if it starts raining too hard. Right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I currently have one of my sulcatas down in his burrow, about 5 feet deep. I live in Southern California and it's raining lightly and is supposed to be 46 tonight. I'm assuming his extinct will kick in and he'll come out if he gets too cold or if it starts raining too hard. Right?

Wrong. Way too cold. He's probably too cold down there already, and now that its night time, he doesn't want to come up.

Respiratory infection is a strong possibility if he spends the night down there. They should not be allowed to use burrows here in SoCal during this time of year. Ground temps and night temps are too cold. I only let mine use burrows from about June to early October, and its really hot up here in Santa Clarita. Ever go to Magic Mountain in the summer? Its roasting up here.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Once they settle in for the night they tend to not move, cold or not. If the rain starts to flood it's burrow it might come out. Not sure where you are located, but I don't expect much rain tonight.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Charlie always came out of his burrow if it rained too hard, not always if it was too cold.

Walkers

5 Year Member
I have a sheet of plywood I put over his burrow to keep him from burrowing in the winter. My mom moved it and forgot to put it back. Luckily, he came out and went into his heated night box anyways thankfully.
Thanks for the quick replies!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a sheet of plywood I put over his burrow to keep him from burrowing in the winter. My mom moved it and forgot to put it back. Luckily, he came out and went into his heated night box anyways thankfully.
Thanks for the quick replies!

That is good news.

I use plywood to cover my burrow entrance too.