cold

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I watched snow blowing sideways here today and couldn't get a picture because snow really doesn't show up on my camera. It's 31°f now. And going down hill from there all week. It's supposed to be 22°f on Christmas. If it tries to rain we'll have a white Christmas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep very cold here too. Next week looking colder. Haven't had sun for a week. Hopefully it shows tomorrow like predicted. It doesn't warm things up but sure wakes ya up.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yep very cold here too. Next week looking colder. Haven't had sun for a week. Hopefully it shows tomorrow like predicted. It doesn't warm things up but sure wakes ya up.
It's been in the low 20's and warms up to 30 degrees. However, the sun is brightly shining, it's blindly shining and just so cold it hurts. I raked leaves for about an hour and thought I had frost bite...lol
here is my green house. Tomorrow my friend/neighbor is coming to make a platform under the tort table, and shorten the pipes length (by 4 inches) and width.by some too...lol DSCN0957.JPG
Little Bit and Simon who has a melanoma in his eye. It's totally covering the iris now. I'm thinkin it's time to see the Vet. His last visit was 4 years ago and there was only a spot, small spot. Now It's big.DSCN0984.JPGDSCN0977.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's been in the low 20's and warms up to 30 degrees. However, the sun is brightly shining, it's blindly shining and just so cold it hurts. I raked leaves for about an hour and thought I had frost bite...lol
here is my green house. Tomorrow my friend/neighbor is coming to make a platform under the tort table, and shorten the pipes length (by 4 inches) and width.by some too...lol View attachment 352586
Little Bit and Simon who has a melanoma in his eye. It's totally covering the iris now. I'm thinkin it's time to see the Vet. His last visit was 4 years ago and there was only a spot, small spot. Now It's big.View attachment 352587View attachment 352588
Aw, they sleep in the same bed. How cute!

I've decided not to cut my GH down. Instead I'm going to add grow lights over the extended end and put some of my plants in there for the winter.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
By Friday and Saturday we're supposed to get snow and extremely cold winds at 40 to 50 mph. Plus extreme cold -20 f feels like temp yuk. Even if we don't get a lot of snow it will be whiteout conditions for driving or anything else. I wasn't praying for a white Christmas but it looks like we'll get one.🎄 whatever snow totals we get will be here Christmas morning.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So it's 24 degrees in the beautiful state of Oregon and I'm driving a car without a heater...I had a red bow on the front of my car and I drove so fast (evidently) that I shaved all the velvet off the ribbon...lol
That's nothing. Cars here in this tropical island in 80 degree weather have Rudolph red noses and antlers pasted on and they sometimes stay on till March...🤪

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's been in the 80s here.
Currently at 12:55 pm it's 77°
However it's supposed to dip into the 50s for Christmas.
That's going to be very nice!
I'm surprised that as a Floridian in south Florida that you have the audacity to say such a thing 😉 I have trouble with 50's here as an ohioan.🤗

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm surprised that as a Floridian in south Florida that you have the audacity to say such a thing 😉 I have trouble with 50's here as an ohioan.🤗
I'm not a fan of Florida weather.
I'm not really a fan of most Florida things.
The lack of different seasons sucks.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm not a fan of Florida weather.
I'm not really a fan of most Florida things.
The lack of different seasons sucks.
I really didn't like the flooding in the summer and the type of cold in the winter but the beautiful blue skies all year were amazing. Also after the afternoon rain in the summer it usually dropped the temperature to bearable. The animals were also interesting and fun. I did do well there though because there wasn't much mowing in the summer because of flooding and none in the winter because it's too dry. And thank the good Lord mosquitos don't like me much.🤗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I suppose they can. I'm not sure how flexible their bones are.
As it happens: https://wapo.st/3FQU865 article about the cold on iguanas and sea turtles

Best chuckle in the article: “In the past, people have loaded the frozen iguanas, thinking they were dead, in the back of a car to harvest their meat, only to have the lizards thaw and attack. (So perhaps, don’t do that.)”

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As it happens: https://wapo.st/3FQU865 article about the cold on iguanas and sea turtles

Best chuckle in the article: “In the past, people have loaded the frozen iguanas, thinking they were dead, in the back of a car to harvest their meat, only to have the lizards thaw and attack. (So perhaps, don’t do that.)”
If I see one I just lay them on the grass out in the open to catch some sun.
Usually when they fall it's under a tree in the shade or they fall into the water.
Most people don't understand that they mostly live near our many canals and they go up into the trees overnight.
This temperature will effect them. It's the coldest in years. But it likely won't put a significant dent in the population