Coleus amboinicus/Coleus aromaticus/Spanish Thyme

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Latin name:Coleus amboinicus/Coleus aromaticus
Common name (USA): Spanish Thyme/French Thyme
Common Name (Philippines): Oregano

i have checked tortoisetable plant database and there is no information about this plant. is this ok for leopard tortoises? i have a large pot of it for decoration beside the enclosure, it also adds shade to them in late afternoon. the pot was toppled somehow and all the leaves they can reach was gone by the time i saw it.

the way they munched on it quickly makes me think that they really like the stuff. i'd like to include it in their diet to add variety but not sure if safe to do so in the long term. i'm not seeing any ill effects right now though.

this is considered a medicinal herb and the juice does wonders for respiratory ailments, aside from being an anti-inflamatory and antiseptic. since my torts like it, and i hope it's safe to feed, then i may have stumbled upon a tortoise superfood.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
bumpig this up in hopes somebbody with info can give me advise.

anyway, it's been 2 weeks since the incident and my leopards are as healthy as ever. i think i'll offer the plant in question since there seems to be no ill effect. in small quantities and gradually increasing until i am certain that is healthy for them.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I only knew this plant as Cuban Oregano. Had no idea that this same plant was called thyme and oregano in different areas

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Haha. Funny...maybe if there is a jamaican oregano, it will he nice to induce a good feeding reaponse on picky eaters.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Haha. Funny...maybe if there is a jamaican oregano, it will he nice to induce a good feeding reaponse on picky eaters.
Wouldn't that be great?! Having an herb that does magic trick and induces ravenous appetite in our picky eaters

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Kidding aside, I've had success with cyanocobalamine to perk up appetite on animals....from birds, snakes and even my leos on one occassion.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
For the record: the plant known as "Cuban oregano", is Plectranthus amboinicus - almost all the plants formerly thought of as Coleus are now in Plectranthus.