College problem

Thegogsen

Location (City and/or State)
Turkey
Well recently i am interested in tortoises. I am reading and watching like crazy about this little creatures for over two months.

I want to buy a Russian tortoise. But there is a problem...

After two years from this day, i am going to be a college student. So, what do you think? Should i buy a tortoise now or wait for 6-7 years?

Thanks.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Well recently i am interested in tortoises. I am reading and watching like crazy about this little creatures for over two months.

I want to buy a Russian tortoise. But there is a problem...

After two years from this day, i am going to be a college student. So, what do you think? Should i buy a tortoise now or wait for 6-7 years?

Thanks.
Well that all depends. Are you planning on staying at a dorm? Are you going to do full time classes? Is your college local?If so to any of these, will your parent WANT to care for it for you? Will they do all the things you read on here that they need instead of just tossing it lettuce and calling it a day?

Not saying they would do that, just saying taking care of a tortoise requires a lot of little and big steps every day and thats a lot for an animal that's not even yours as I'm sure you've read how to care for a Russian.

Lots of things for you to think about and to discuss with parents if that's who you plan to ask to care for your baby ?

Good luck!!! If not today, one day you'll have your shell baby!

Thegogsen

Turkey
Well that all depends. Are you planning on staying at a dorm? Are you going to do full time classes? Is your college local?If so to any of these, will your parent WANT to care for it for you? Will they do all the things you read on here that they need instead of just tossing it lettuce and calling it a day?

Not saying they would do that, just saying taking care of a tortoise requires a lot of little and big steps every day and thats a lot for an animal that's not even yours as I'm sure you've read how to care for a Russian.

Lots of things for you to think about and to discuss with parents if that's who you plan to ask to care for your baby ?

Good luck!!! If not today, one day you'll have your shell baby!
Thanks a lot for your message. I will discuss this with my parents tonight.

Thegogsen

Turkey
I really like that you're planning ahead and thinking about these things!
Make sure you show them the care sheets from here since these wonderful ppl have decades of experience with russians ?
Thanks for your supportive messages ?

I couldn't wait any longer and I discussed this with my parents. And they said okey for a new, little fellow for our family :tort: I'm very excited about it.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congrats, when I went off to college my grandparents took care of (and spoiled) my box turtle.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome! Make sure you purchase your "friend for life" from a reputable breeder, preferably from this site. Don't take advice from "pet shop" personnel. Get your enclosure all set up before you bring your baby home. You are going to have a lot of fun.

Thegogsen

Turkey
Thanks all of you for your advices. I think I am ready -and a little bit excited- for this
? :tort: ?