Color of Tortoise food, And Adopting

Noah Jeffery

Location (City and/or State)
Newton, Kansas
So recently I moved my tortoise downstairs despite it being slightly colder shes in a nicer area and I'm less likely to forget her now that she lives in my kitchen. I've began to spend a lot of time with her. I currently feed her Maintenance formula Rep-Cal which both has a fruity pebble aroma and distinct colors. Green, Red, Purple, and Tan. When I used to feed her strictly vegetables and fruit she never ate anything green or rarely any ways. She would go straight for tomatoes peppers and other of that sort and color. I was concerned because she wouldn't eat greens. And now that i have her mostly on the pellet food again I noticed she only eats the purple red and tan. Never the green in fact i have a pile of green pellets I don't know what to do with. Just a strange thing i wanted to share.

Now on to the adoption part of this thread. I am looking into adopting any kind of reptile at the moment. I have a lot of room and a lot of time to give to some more animals, but I don't just want to buy a random one from a pet store i want to save one or save someone the time and effort if they don't not truly care for their pet anymore. Does anyone know a place or a forum to adopt pets. or maybe any in need in the general area of Kansas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tortoises diet needs to be a lot more then just the tortoise pellets. Sometimes they need to be tricked into eating what's good for them even if they don't seem to want it. Chopping up the green colored greens and mixing them in with something she does like, spritzing with water so they stick together usually does the trick. Then cut back on the favorite stuff as more greens are excepted.
Get your torts diet working before adding another reptile. Getting one housed and fed properly takes some time and is easier if your not trying to do they same for a new pet.
Then when your tort is on track, check out your local Craig's list. There is almost always reptiles on there needing better care.

Noah Jeffery

Newton, Kansas
Awesome and thanks. I do feed her greens as much as possible but it does seem like a beter idea to trick her and lean her off the pellets also they are pricey

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Noah, and welcome to the Forum! I'm taking a big leap here and guessing that your "tortoise" is really a box turtle. Please put up a picture so we can give you species specific information. We can't answer your questions with the best quality answers until we know what type of turtle/tortoise we're talking about.