Colorado life

kallylou

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hi! We just rescued our first ever Russian Tortoise this summer. I am excited to learn all we can about habitat best practices, hibernation and overall care. Speedy is ~8-10 yrs old per our vet - she was turned into a local reptile store having been found wandering in a sewage ditch :( She is quite large and very expressive and likes to snuggle. Anyone else with Russian input, I'd love to hear all about it!:tort:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Speedy.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. I am originally from Colorado. I still miss it. I also have a Russian, it is amazing how much personality they do have. You've come to the right place for all the information you need.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, and a very warm welcome to the forum to you as well as your tort.:D

Would like to see pics of your tort.;)

kallylou

Colorado
Question here - as the nights get colder and Speedy's habitat is on the first level - should I be keeping her heat lamp on all night? everything I've read prior says to turn off both UVB and heat lamps at night. Her temp setting on the aquarium is about 70 in the morning -- yes right now we just have glass cage - in a rental home at the moment and plan to build both an outdoor (on our rooftop private deck) and a larger indoor habitat when we move in December back to our home. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    800.5 KB · Views: 6

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You must turn the lamps off at night, as tortoises can't sleep properly without total darkness.
If you need night time heating you'll need to get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat that provides heat but no light.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. An adult Russian should not need night heat indoors. As long as your house is staying reasonably warm. 70 is fine.