Coloring Skills...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I have a Sulcata hatchling and was wondering at what age/size does their shell begin to darken or lighten. I've looked online and seen the dark and light colored shells... When can you begin to tell what color they'll turn out to be?

Same goes with the DT's, when can you expect to see the dark or lighter colors come out in their shells? Thanks,

-J

M

Maggie Cummings

I would think that would depend on their circumstances. How they are kept, food and specifically the light that they get. I guess I shouldn't have answered this because I realized as I was typing that I just don't know. Bob is my 14 year old Sulcata and he is the same color that he has always been. I had a Gopherus that at 4 yrs was still pretty much red...I can actually remember being surprised to see an adult that was drab gray when all the younger ones that I saw or kept were red/brown...

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
The kids are DT and they were very soft, very light colored and 13 months old when I got them. They are 2 mos older, darker and harder now that I have had them 2 months. I was told sun will darken then and harden them. They get sun on warm days, otherwise it is a UVB bulb. I will post you pics tomorrow if you like.

Dawna

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Wow... So more natural sunlight will darken their shells? I would love pictures. Thanks,

-J

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
This is Fred in January.

Fred2.jpg

This is Doris in January.

Doris.jpg

This both of them today.

FredandDoris.jpg

Soakinginthesun.jpg

sizemarch1.jpg

They have darkened. LOL not as much as I thought though now that I compared the pictures. They also have developed the dark lines between the scutes. I have seen people post about white growth between scutes but not dark. Anyone experienced with DT's know if that is what it is? If it's not growth, what is it?

Dawna

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Tomorrow I'll add some pictures of my two DT's. One has light colors and the other has dark lines. Mine are California DT's, are yours California too? They look different... Also, how old are they?
Thanks,

-J

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
They were hatched Oct of 2007. There is some confusion as to their parentage. I was given them by a friend who bought a Sulcata hatchling 7-8 years ago for her foster son. She still has her although her foster son has moved on. She has over the years, had people drop torts in her yard unknown exactly why but probably because they knew she had one and they didn't want them anymore. Anyway one of the torts she was left was a male DT and she has another female unknown species (still hibernating So I have never seen her). My friend was positive the kids are DT/Sulcata mix but I have been told that do to size and maturity age that would be impossible. So I am waiting until everyone wakes up to try and sort out the mystery.

I am looking forward to your pics to see the differences.

Dawna

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
My sulcata is really light in color, Hasnt started darkening up yet, i dont know if she ever will, I will post pictures soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a picture of a regular desert tortoise on the left and a leucistic desert tortoise on the right. The leucistic sorta' looks like yours, huh, Dawna?

Yvonne

cdtleucisticnormal.jpg

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
What is a leucistic desert tortoise? I have fresh photos. I'm gonna post in a bit.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
As my son said they belong in the middle. They look a little like both. I think more like the leucistic.

Yvonne, the dark lines they are developing between their scutes - is that growth? I have seen growth identified as white lines but not dark. And I don't remember what species the post was about either. :p

Dawna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, the dark lines is just new growth. Usually on a desert tortoise the new growth is lighter. It really will be interesting to see that female when she wakes up from hibernation...although, I really doubt she's sulcata, because they don't hibernate. But, maybe she's a different colored desert tortoise. I'm really anxious to see a picture of her. Please keep us in mind!!

Leucistic is sort of like albino, only without the red eyes.

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I will post pics of all 3 when the other 2 wake up. I actually was thinking today I should call and ask if they woke up yet. If it rains tomorrow I might be slower at work. I am curious what her species is. What species hibernate or is the list too long to post? :D I have friends with DT and they all say the kids look different then their DT.

Dawna

Oh and their siblings are much darker. Forgot I took this pic

Siblings.jpg

Dawna

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Wow mix of both huh? That's interesting...

I have a link below to a photobucket I have created. The DT's are Tertius and Dirts, they were born around September/October of 2008. They're from two different clutches. The Sulcata's are both from the same clutch and were born in January 2009.

It appears they're all light colored now, but I'm wondering when they'll start changing.

http://photobucket.com/thearmyoftortoiseland

-J

MarysTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
Wow, the babies look so similar. I almost couldn't tell the DT's from the sulcatas!

My sulcata seems to be getting darker as time goes on. He's almost a year now. I've heard it can also be linked to heat? I'm kind of wondering if our Kenya will lighten up a little when summer comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.