Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Thalia said:
ok :) hopefully I'll figure out the quirks of the grocery stores here and all this worry will have been for naught
Do they have any local markets, produce stands, or farmers markets there ? The locals must depend on a source besides the mainland. I suggest you research the local produce and it's nutrients.
Keep one thing in mind, the caresheets you are reading are written for we keepers who live in a temperate climate. You are on an island that RF's were introduced onto in the 1600s and became established. They are eating and breeding on the native flora. Ask around to the residents and see if they can give you observations.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Itort said:
Thalia said:
ok :) hopefully I'll figure out the quirks of the grocery stores here and all this worry will have been for naught
Do they have any local markets, produce stands, or farmers markets there ? The locals must depend on a source besides the mainland. I suggest you research the local produce and it's nutrients.
Keep one thing in mind, the caresheets you are reading are written for we keepers who live in a temperate climate. You are on an island that RF's were introduced onto in the 1600s and became established. They are eating and breeding on the native flora. Ask around to the residents and see if they can give you observations.
Here's a link. www.chelonia.org/articles/nutrientanalysis.htm. Most of the foods listed are temperate but there are also some tropical, i.e mango, papaya, and figs.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm a very strong advocate of Mazuri tortoise diet.

What's interesting about this thread is that the OP is probably more qualified to answer their own question than anyone else who has posted.

I've tried to look into nutrition to see if I could figure it out... I gave up. I decided to trust those who really do know what they are talking about.

I have a Rottie (I know... not a tortoise) who gets fed an exclusively pelleted diet... IAMS... She is 10 and looks like 5 years old.

There are a few species of tortoises that I feed the Mazuri diet exclusively... the results are amazing.

Hey... I'm a simple minded person... results I can understand... theory... is just that... theory.

What's really ironic is those against commercial diets have never used it themselves for any length of time. Those that have used the stuff are usually supporters of these diets.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
EJ, what tortoises do you feed Mazuri exclusivly to? Talai in another thread asked about feeding tortoises rice and nuts. What is your opinion on those food items? Also what is the differnce if any from Mazuri and Pretty Pets Tortoise Pelletes ( Those long colored things that look like puffy Cheetoes)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Golden Greeks, Chacos, Hingebacks, Egyptians, Stars, Pancakes, Flattails, Leopards, Spiders, Libyan greaca... I think that's it.

I realized that I did not post my manufactured diet post on this list. I'll try to repost it here.

I can't comment on Pretty Pets because I don't know anything about the product but I recently got an adoption which was raised on the product and the shape of the animal is amazing.

Rice and nuts... humm... interesting... starch, protein, oil... are the components that come to mind. The oil I don't think is good.

Redfootedboxturtles said:
EJ, what tortoises do you feed Mazuri exclusivly to? Talai in another thread asked about feeding tortoises rice and nuts. What is your opinion on those food items? Also what is the differnce if any from Mazuri and Pretty Pets Tortoise Pelletes ( Those long colored things that look like puffy Cheetoes)

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would think the rice would expand in the stomach, causing problems.

If you check out the sulcatas in some of the pics I posted here, they ate their share of pretty pets tortoise food. And look amazing. I dont really feed it to them any more becasue it costs to much.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Why would you think this?... call me ignorant...

I would think the rice would expand in the stomach, causing problems.

If you check out the sulcatas in some of the pics I posted here, they ate their share of pretty pets tortoise food. And look amazing. I dont really feed it to them any more becasue it costs to much.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Ed, you're I think you are missing the point here. This person is living on a Carribean island, an independent nation with import duties ect, who can not depend on a constant source vegetibles in the grocery and can't afford to ship in petfood not in wide demand in this culture. She is trying to find local sources of food for her Redfoot tortoise. I am trying to help her find some. Now one thing I do want to point out is this island, St. Kitts, has supported Redfoot tortoises for approximately 400 years longer than Purina Mills (Mazuri) has been in existence. The food is there, she just needs to recognize it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Perhaps when they said rice they meant cooked rice. Which will not expand.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
There seems to be a few points here.

To the OP... get a house and let the tortoise roam. RFs are well established in the Carrib.

I'm sorry... feed it grasses.

Your comment is an obvious slant on your opinion.

Again... I don't have a clue.

Itort said:
Ed, you're I think you are missing the point here. This person is living on a Carribean island, an independent nation with import duties ect, who can not depend on a constant source vegetibles in the grocery and can't afford to ship in petfood not in wide demand in this culture. She is trying to find local sources of food for her Redfoot tortoise. I am trying to help her find some. Now one thing I do want to point out is this island, St. Kitts, has supported Redfoot tortoises for approximately 400 years longer than Purina Mills (Mazuri) has been in existence. The food is there, she just needs to recognize it.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If its rice mixed with nuts and fruit I doubt it is a cooked item. More like a trail mix. At least thats what I thought when I read it. Doesnt seem like they can keep cooked rice as a packaged item.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
and you know this is bad for the tortoise... how?

If its rice mixed with nuts and fruit I doubt it is a cooked item. More like a trail mix. At least thats what I thought when I read it. Doesnt seem like they can keep cooked rice as a packaged item.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
the nuts or the rice????

I really don't know how to respond to this.

Anyway... I use Mazuri with remarkable results... the rice and the nuts... another story which I know nothing about.

Its makes birds explode. Or is that just a myth.

jackflash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
-EJ said:
I'm a very strong advocate of Mazuri tortoise diet.

What's interesting about this thread is that the OP is probably more qualified to answer their own question than anyone else who has posted.

I've tried to look into nutrition to see if I could figure it out... I gave up. I decided to trust those who really do know what they are talking about.

I have a Rottie (I know... not a tortoise) who gets fed an exclusively pelleted diet... IAMS... She is 10 and looks like 5 years old.

There are a few species of tortoises that I feed the Mazuri diet exclusively... the results are amazing.

Hey... I'm a simple minded person... results I can understand... theory... is just that... theory.

What's really ironic is those against commercial diets have never used it themselves for any length of time. Those that have used the stuff are usually supporters of these diets.
I couldn't agree with you more. Throwing a few flowers and some fruit du jour is an over simplification of feeding a tortoise.

jackflash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thalia said:
I'm getting redfoots. Are any commercial diets recommended? I realise that I will need to feed my babies fresh food for the most part, however I like the idea of a "complete" commercial food, just to ensure I'm not inadvertently feeding them a deficient diet. I know you really can't believe what manufacturers say, so I thought I'd ask you all if there's anything you would recommend.
Also, I will be bringing back pellets for my new cockatiel (vet school is a fabulous opportunity to expand my zoo :D ) are these ok to give to the torts on occasion? the pellets I'm bringing back are Garden Goodness by Zupreem, they've got dried bell pepper, peas, tomatoes and apples as well as "nutritious nuggets" with no artificial colours, would it be ok to offer this to my little guys if I add a little warm water and make it into mash? I also have access to an organic hermit crab food store, she makes all her own food and has lots of tasty options, the foods are dehydrated and either ground or chopped finely (http://www.thehappyhermitcrab.com/) they're all fruits and veggies and even some seafoods and bugs (crickets, mealworms etc) as well as juice soaked cuttlebone.
Speaking of cuttlebone, will I need to bring down a calcium supplement, or can I just shave cuttle bone onto my tort's food? Is there a preferred method of giving calcium supplement?
Any other good food tips for a newbie?
Zoo Med has just come out with "Natural Forest Tortoise Food" that has pellets of compressed grasses and veggies,at least 30 different plants. I don't work for Zoo Med,but the ingredient list is impressive. Google it and check it out. Good luck,jackflash.

jackflash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
"complete" commercial food for tortoises are mostly soy = (

But it's the lord's soy and is perfect isn't it?

jackflash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
-EJ said:
the nuts or the rice????

I really don't know how to respond to this.

Anyway... I use Mazuri with remarkable results... the rice and the nuts... another story which I know nothing about.

Its makes birds explode. Or is that just a myth.
My dog has eaten a rice and lamb based food for 11 years and although he's gained weight he hasn't exploded yet. Not counting farts which could be considered explosions.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't know the products you are using but products like Mazuri are not mostly soy. Soy byproducts such as the hulls... fiber... could be considered a good portion.

Ed

"complete" commercial food for tortoises are mostly soy = (

Status
Not open for further replies.