Community pond - lots and lots of RES

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Just thought I'd share some pics of a a local shopping center pond with dozens of turtles - mostly red eared sliders - all ages & sizes. Beautiful pond, but locals keep dropping off their pets, so its getting crowded. The torts are fed and cared for, presumably by the strip mall owners, but some have obvious health issues. If anyone visits the City of Calabasas, its quite a site to see.

1468717134730.jpg 1468717275204.jpg 1468717295682.jpg 1468717369762.jpg 1468717462951.jpg 1468717542964.jpg 1468717570403.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Holy cow! At least they're keeping the water clean.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Beautiful sight!!! We have few ponds in our neighborhood, only ours are much bigger and deeper, but they are also overpopulated with sliders of all sizes. I'll get some pics when it cools down a bit. Too darn hot for walks now

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Wow, that's both very cool-- and somewhat disturbing at the same time. It's great that such a beautiful and well maintained habitat exists at a mall. But the temptation for locals to dump their unwanted pets could become a real problem. One also considers that other locals might be tempted to swipe, and or abuse the turtles.
But I agree with the rest of you who posted about how nice the set-up is. Just beautiful!

dmiller1991

Awesome sight. Only question I have is they don't go after the koi? I know that koi are a fairly slow fish (granted they look bigger than the turtles) but mine are small turtles still and go after the large feeders I just put in my tank.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
looks like any small body of water in California. parks golf courses big puddles they're everywhere people love to drop them off. The worst part is the people who drop them off into the river which leads to the ocean they end up dying very quickly

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Awesome sight. Only question I have is they don't go after the koi? I know that koi are a fairly slow fish (granted they look bigger than the turtles) but mine are small turtles still and go after the large feeders I just put in my tank.
Koi are amazingly great swimmers and known for their jumping ability as they are such strong swimmers. In every pond I've maintained - the turtles leave the fish alone unless a fish becomes sick. In a smaller tank, when you introduce a new fish and it acts nervously - it becomes turtle food quite quickly. But once established and acting normally they do fine. Now that's not to say they won't occasionally nip at a fin or two!! But mine have never killed a healthy fish in the pond. I do not keep snappers or softshells as that would be a different story

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Is it possible they are keeping the water clean with chlorine, despite having all those turtles?

I'm amazed to see such clear water in a mall/public square. Especially considering all the turtles! And I know so many that are treated, although those have no aquatic life..

Pearly

5 Year Member
Is it possible they are keeping the water clean with chlorine, despite having all those turtles?

I'm amazed to see such clear water in a mall/public square. Especially considering all the turtles! And I know so many that are treated, although those have no aquatic life..
Uggghhh! I hope not!!!! But you are right! That water is crystal clear. How do they do it?!

R

Rzm7810

Purigen !!!! That's how they keep them clean here in Nashville for the Caiman Farm. They throw all
Kinds a food in there for the caimans and it's always crystal clear. When I found out what they used I started using it in my saltwater tanks. Water looks amazing constantly. I Just dont use on the same size scale obviously. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Purigen !!!! That's how they keep them clean here in Nashville for the Caiman Farm. They throw all
Kinds a food in there for the caimans and it's always crystal clear. When I found out what they used I started using it in my saltwater tanks. Water looks amazing constantly. I Just dont use on the same size scale obviously. Lol
Thanks, very interesting. Will have to read about that

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
They cannot be using chlorine as the koi would die immediately! I doubt they are using purigen in this size application. Purigen would clog up in no time in a pond especially with this much fish and turtles. A well designed and properly sized filter will keep it clear like this, especially with the aeration it looks like they are getting.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
They cannot be using chlorine as the koi would die immediately! I doubt they are using purigen in this size application. Purigen would clog up in no time in a pond especially with this much fish and turtles. A well designed and properly sized filter will keep it clear like this, especially with the aeration it looks like they are getting.

Gotcha, thanks