Community service with animals

marine778

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida
So i'm a senior in high school and I need to do community service in order to qualify for a Bright Futures scholarship. I was wondering if anyone here knew any good places where I could work with animals in the Central Florida area? I live in Winter Springs.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I don't live in Florida, but in CA, you can volunteer at shelters. Shelters are a fun place to go, even if you're not looking for credit!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Shelters only if you can deal with the knowledge of what you will see there and that you can't rescue them all. ;) A zoo would be another place or parks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have teen-agers calling me all the time to see if I take people to do community service or volunteers. Check GOOGLE for Turtle Rescues and see if any of the results are close to you. In a small operation like mine, there's isn't a whole lot of extra work I can farm out, but maybe you can find someone who needs help. Just bear in mind it isn't glamorous. No matter who you find to volunteer with, you're going to be put to work cleaning cages, picking up poop, tending to waterers, changing substrate, etc. It's going to be the grunt work of everyday keeping, not the glamorous handling of animals, etc.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Hello marine! I live in East Orlando (right by Waterford Lakes :) )

I have a place that might be up your alley for community service. At my job, last year a bunch of us volunteered at a turtle sanctuary in Oviedo. It was sooooooooo cool. All sorts of turtles and tortoises there. It is a non profit organization, and I really hate to say it, but I cannot for the life of me think of the name of the place. But if you search for either turtle or tortoise sanctuary in Oviedo, you should be able to find it.

:)

marine778

5 Year Member
Winter Springs, Florida
That sounds awesome Barista, and thanks for the suggestions to everyone else. Gotta check with my guidance counselor to see if that turtle sanctuary world work out.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
No problem! I hope you get to do something fun and animal related [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I know for a fact that the turtle sanctuary is a 501-C non profit organization, so I would think community service would be A-OK.

But yes, if you do get in, be prepared to do grunt work, like stated up there ^^

When my co workers and I went, (there were close to 30 of us), we cleared out a bunch of land on their property that had large debris (like huge logs and tree trunks) for them to set up more pens.

But they have all sorts of rescues there that were neglected and abused, with lots of bad pyramiding [DISAPPOINTED FACE] but it felt really good to help out all these rescued babies [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE]