Companion Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maude

5 Year Member
Hey all,
I would like your opinions on whether this species of tortoise likes having a companion. I have thought of getting Maude another redfoot to pal around with but I think they may be solitary creatures in the wild? For those of you who have more than one, what is your experience? Do they kind of ignore each other or do they seem to enjoy the company and pal around?
THANKS!
Oh-and gratuitous cute Maude pic just cause I love her so:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Usually tortoises are solitary creatures and prefer to be alone. The redfoot seems to be the exception to that rule. They get along great in herds.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi Maude,
Welcome. I don't know if there is a difinative answer or not. My personal experence leads me to believe they are fine either way. I have noticed in my groups certain one's tend to 'hangout' together and suffer no ills if seperated...vague enough?!

In the real world they are solitary creatures.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Mine do very well as a group. There is a lot of interaction between them.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you can afford the extra, and be prepared to seperate if they dont get along.. then do it.. also quarantine for a bit at first too...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Assuming they have enough room with a good selection of hides, feeding spots, etc., Red-foots are a semi-social species. In the wild, they often feed and sleep in groups and establish a mild pecking order (usually just based on size).

They do just fine by themselves, but I really think they do a bit better in herds- again, assuming there is room, etc.

dabayliss

5 Year Member
Well,

We have four, three of them love the company, the other one is a miserable little so-and-so and will happily attack any of the other three (he is the second smallest)

I think company is good for them PROVIDED you can seperate them if they end up not liking it ....

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Redfoots in the wild are solitary creatures excluding the breeding season. I have 7 RFs and they all do great together. If you are satistfied with just one then there is no pressure to get another for your torts sake. But having more than one is nice because if you get a good one not a bully then it is very interesting to watch them interact.

My guys are hilarious together. they have in the past worked together to get at some of my nice plants (fyi the plants didnt last long) but to me it is very fun to watch them together and see wat they do. Ultimately its your decision. I hope this helps.

Maude

5 Year Member
Many thanks for all the replies. It sounds like Maude will be happy either way! It will really be for my enjoyment if I add to my family.
So...next question....another girl? Same size? I don't ever want to deal with fertilized eggs. Also-at what age do they begin to lay?

Status
Not open for further replies.